Honored Contributor

I tried this yesterday as an extra side to go with some salmon. Would go great with lamb also.  It was so easy and quick thought it needed to be shared.  

1-1/2 cups couscous
3 cups chicken stock
1 T curry powder (or to taste)
2 t kosher salt
1 t ground black pepper
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup currants (or raisins)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted

Pour couscous into a bowl.  Mix chicken stock, curry, salt and pepper, olive oil and currants in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Pour over the couscous.  Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 10 minutes.  Fluff couscous with a fork.  Mix in the chopped cilantro and top with toasted slivered almonds.  

Respected Contributor

Sold! I have chilled salmon that I poached yesterday, and I am making your couscous today. I have dried cranberry craisins and think they will work, per gaps with a tad of orange zest added? Perfect timing! Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE

I hope you enjoy it.  It is pretty basic.  I was having salmon and a green salad for dinner and ended up with two unexpected guests.  I needed to add something to make the food go farther.  There are probably a lot of ways to tweak this depending on what is on hand.  

Super Contributor

Re: EASY CURRY COUSCOUS

[ Edited ]

Thanks DiAnne -- I love curry so when I was at the store today I purchased the fixings and made it this evening exactly according to the recipe..

Some tips on how it worked for me:

1. I used israeli couscous which is a bit bigger than regular couscous

2. 3 cups of chicken stock was TOO much.  I let the dish sit, as instructed, for 20 minutes (I forgot to check it at 10 minutes)  and although the couscous was done, it was all soupy. 

So I drained the couscous and there was exactly 1 cup of liquid drained out.  Next time I will use just 2 cups of chicken stock.

3. I would suggest putting in the currants (I used dried cranberries) at the end when fluffing the couscous rather than in the pot.  I found that the cranberries were too squishy and personally, I like the currants/cranberries to provide a different texture when eating.

4.  I love curry but putting in 1 T was WAY too much.  I would suggest using 1 tsp instead.

5. since i used canned chicken broth, I only put in 1 tsp of kosher salt + 1/2 tsp of pepper -- that was a perfect amount.

Just some suggestions for anyone who wants to make this.  It was SO easy and quick  to make!

This recipe will be added to my collection.  It'd be great for a brunch side dish or - since I work from home - it would be a great lunch with some crusty French bread.

Thanks again for the recipe!

Honored Contributor

@chi5925

I think you ran into the soupy problem because you used Israeli coucous which is supposed to be cooked.  

I use currants instead of raisins or dried cranberries because of the "squishy" aspect.  Currants do not get that way because they are smaller.  

Everyone makes a recipe their own.  Glad you worked it out.  

Super Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@chi5925

I think you ran into the soupy problem because you used Israeli coucous which is supposed to be cooked.  

I use currants instead of raisins or dried cranberries because of the "squishy" aspect.  Currants do not get that way because they are smaller.  

Everyone makes a recipe their own.  Glad you worked it out.  

Yikes -- didn't know that about the Israeli coucous (duh!).  Thanks for the info!!