QVC Social Team

Coleslaw - Creamy or Vinaigrette?

Along with great tips for making coleslaw, such as soaking onion to tone down the flavor a bit, Meredith Laurence is asking what kind of coleslaw you prefer - creamy or vinaigrette? I vote for creamy as I have never had it with a vinaigrette dressing.

Check out her newest Basics video here>

How to make Coleslaw

Respected Contributor

Re: Coleslaw - Creamy or Vinaigrette?

Thanx @Eva-QVC, I prefer the creamy but am not against something different, will use the recipe in the link, sounds good.

Honored Contributor

I love both!  A good tart/sweet coleslaw is perfect with chicken and seafood.  With more flavorful foods, the creamy kind.  

Once at Corky's--the old one on Poplar-- in Memphis they were trying a creamy slaw that was on the sweet side and they had taken out most of the spices, so it was a very basic, creamy, sweet taste with a little kick of vinegar--just a touch.  The cabbage was shredded VERY thin and it was icy cold.  It was the best thing I ever ate alongside those spicy dry rubbed ribs.  It was absolute foodie heaven!  The best combo I can think of.

Esteemed Contributor

Never met a coleslaw I didn't like!

Honored Contributor

I actually use coleslaw or shredded cabbage in all my salads in place of lettuce.  

Respected Contributor

I would have to vote for creamy as well Eva. I have never tried coleslaw with a vinaigrette dressing ... (although it does sound good!!)

Honored Contributor

And don't forget about Asian cole slaw!  I LOVE it too!  Especially when it is cold and crispy with rice noodles and/or peanuts.

Honored Contributor

I love coleslaw, altho there are times I don't do well with processing cabbage.   I like a creamy, but not heavy on the mayo, dressing for the finely chopped coleslaw I eat on my hotdogs, and with brown beans.   I like a rough chop coleslaw with pork, and baked beans.   I really like Asian noodle salad with the vinaigrette, but must chop the cabbage in smaller pieces to make my intestines happy.   

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Vinegar, do not care for mayonnaise!!

Honored Contributor

I hate creamy coleslaw dressing so I guess I would have to vote for vinaigrette.