Valued Contributor

Re: Best tasting vegetable soup for the crockpot

@Toppers

Thanks very much for your advice on adding meat to soup.  It is getting cold enough to start cooking it here.   U made it very simple for me to understand. Thanks again!  Happy Sunday.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@INDIANA BONES wrote:

@Toppers

Thanks very much for your advice on adding meat to soup.  It is getting cold enough to start cooking it here.   U made it very simple for me to understand. Thanks again!  Happy Sunday.

You're very welcome, @INDIANA BONES!

I really enjoy using my slow cooker to make soup. 

To me, it's a great way to do it. You just get it ready to go basically, and then you can do whatever else you need to do, and if you need to go out, you can come home to a great meal.

If you want to add some beef bones to your soup, I forgot to mention that if you don't see them in the prepared meat case, ask your butcher for them.

You'll usually see them-if they're out in the prepared cold meat case-by the ox tails and the short ribs.

They usually sell "odds and ends" pieces from what I have seen, like neck bones and pieces like that, and they're relatively inexpensive. Smiley Happy

Ox tails are really great in soup by the way, if you want to try them. 

I grew up eating them, in my family. You can let them cook all day in a soup, and the meat literally falls off of the bone. They are beef tail bones.

The meat becomes really tender, and adds a lot of flavor to the soup. You put them in when you start your soup, and just let them cook, if you want to give them a try.

ETA: You can brown the ox tails first if you want to, and then add them to your cooker when you start your soup.

Honored Contributor

Ox tail. Now I haven't tried that. I can't seem to do Hummus just yet, and I want to try Edamen. I think that's it. It looks good. I really would like to experiment more, but cost wise, I don't think it's a good idea. You do want to like what you eat.

Besides this veg soup idea, I'm really going to be looking into more "plate dishes" like different foods for salads, or good combos on the salad line.

Thanks contributors!!

Respected Contributor

Agree with adding a protein and realize she didn't ask for beef veggie soup - but I make this soup all the time in my crockpot.  I cut down a boneless chuck roast or if busy buy beef for stew at the store.  If you are a vegetarian, you can leave it out but I doubt the small chunks of meat I use shouldn't add a lot of calories to your points   I dredge the chunks in seasoned flour and brown and deglaze the pan with some beef stock.  That goes in the crockpot with onion, carrots, celery, and a can of peeled whole tomatoes I crush with my hands.  Then I add about two boxes of beef stock, a little Worcestershire sauce and forget about it for hours. 

I add all the softer veggies the last hour or hour and a half.  I use a bag of frozen corn and peas - I put them in a bowl and pour hot water over frozen veggies and drain and toss those in - (if u add the veggies frozen,  it brings down the temp of the soup and adds a freezer burned taste to me - but in any case, watch them because if you don't and these two veggies are in a hot hot crockpot for too long, they "pop" and split from their kernels and you have a lot of floating debris on top of the soup if that makes sense.  I add a can of cut green beans at the same time.

I find seasoning the meat and cooking beforehand and adding the softer veggies later makes for a great soup.  

Valued Contributor

@Toppers wrote:

@INDIANA BONES wrote:

@Toppers

I really enjoy using my slow cooker to make soup. 

To me, it's a great way to do it. You just get it ready to go basically, and then you can do whatever else you need to do, and if you need to go out, you can come home to a great meal.

If you want to add some beef bones to your soup, I forgot to mention that if you don't see them in the prepared meat case, ask your butcher for them.

You'll usually see them-if they're out in the prepared cold meat case-by the ox tails and the short ribs.

They usually sell "odds and ends" pieces from what I have seen, like neck bones and pieces like that, and they're relatively inexpensive. Smiley Happy

Ox tails are really great in soup by the way, if you want to try them. 

I grew up eating them, in my family. You can let them cook all day in a soup, and the meat literally falls off of the bone. They are beef tail bones.

The meat becomes really tender, and adds a lot of flavor to the soup. You put them in when you start your soup, and just let them cook, if you want to give them a try.

ETA: You can brown the ox tails first if you want to, and then add them to your cooker when you start your soup.

@Toppers

Thanks for such helpful information to a non-cook.  I have quoted you so others may see this that are not aware of the bones and asking for them.   Never heard of an Ox tail but I will find out on Monday at the store.  

Much appreciation and my girls will be happy with any help I get.  They love to cook but have very little time.   Happy Weekend 

Trusted Contributor

I'm glad that I could help you out. Smiley Happy

Let me/us know here if you need any more help with soup recipes. 

It's great that your girls like to cook. I was cooking and baking when I lived at home, too. Smiley Happy

Have a good weekend, too! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Toppers

Thank you for your kind offer and for all the kindness of each person here.  I will be back  for more ideas.  I can only pull of cooking a couple days of the week.   I get meat and veggie plates down the street at a dinner on work days.  

I was getting tired of fixing the same stuff every week.   So happy to get new EASY recipes and ideas. 

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

Can't seem to find Toppers recipe for the Best Tasting Vegetable Soup in a crockpot. Can someone give me the link?

Many thanks,

Joy in OH

Trusted Contributor

@Joy in Ohio wrote:

Can't seem to find Toppers recipe for the Best Tasting Vegetable Soup in a crockpot. Can someone give me the link?

Many thanks,

Joy in OH

Hi Joy,

There are vegetable soup recipes posted at the beginning of this thread. I didn't have any specific recipe posted here myself.

Our fellow forum friend Moroco was asking about how to add in meat to the veggie soup, so I was helping him with some ideas as to how to do that. Smiley Happy