Frequent Contributor

Baking Pans ~ Glass vs Metal

Do you have a preference for glass or metal when baking?, specifically for Banana Bread.  I generally use glass loaf pans for baking breads (pumpkin, poppy seed, etc.), but with Banana Bread, I'm stumped.  I've tried a few recipes with a glass pan and if I left it to bake for the required time, it would burn.  I make Pumpkin Bread in glass and Brownies in metal, both with no problem.   

Respected Contributor

Re: Baking Pans ~ Glass vs Metal

When you bake with glass pans, it is generally advisable to either decrease the oven temperature by 25º or the baking time by 10 minutes. 

Also, I once read that every time you open your oven door, you lose about 25º of temperature.  So it's a good habit to use the oven light and the window in your door for checking on your baked/roasted goods whenever possible. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I'm better at eating than baking - LOL! - however, I prefer glass baking dishes & have never had a problem with banana breads in a glass loaf pan.  One thing I learned a long time ago is that oven temps vary, so I use the baking time given in the recipe as a guide, but not carved in stone.  Once it gets within about 10 minutes, I start checking & use the touch & toothpick tests.  Remember, too, that banana bread probably has more moisture in it to begin with than other, drier breads.

Happy baking!

Honored Contributor

I got rid of all glass baking dishes except one 9 x 13 many years ago.  I keep metal loaf pans in various sizes (lighter colored for longer baking; dark colors drown faster), and other metal pans for cakes and such and ceramics like Le Creuset and others for items as well.  I love both, but am not a big fan of glass.  They are hard to clean and I don't think bake as well, but that's just me.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I got rid of all glass baking dishes except one 9 x 13 many years ago.  I keep metal loaf pans in various sizes (lighter colored for longer baking; dark colors drown faster), and other metal pans for cakes and such and ceramics like Le Creuset and others for items as well.  I love both, but am not a big fan of glass.  They are hard to clean and I don't think bake as well, but that's just me.

Forgive me Sooner for going off topic on this thread but as of this morning, Dec. 14th 2015 Blue Bell is back on the shelves in my town, Tyler, Texas.  I am so excited!!.  Sick to death of Brookshires's brand and all the others, even Baskin Robbins.  Long time in coming but just in time for holiday pie!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Forgive me Sooner for going off topic on this thread but as of this morning, Dec. 14th 2015 Blue Bell is back on the shelves in my town, Tyler, Texas.  I am so excited!!.  Sick to death of Brookshires's brand and all the others, even Baskin Robbins.  Long time in coming but just in time for holiday pie!!

KISSES AND HUGS FOR YOU!!!!!  I'm gonna go looking tomorrow!!!!  I am really tired of inferior ice cream too!  LOL!!!  A Christmas miracle.

To keep on topic, slice a pound cake into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices, layer one in a loaf pan lined with saran wrap sprayed with Pam.  Add a layer of softened ice cream and repeat twice more, topping with cake!  Freeze, slice and serve with whipped cream and fruit.  Now we're back on that baking pan thing!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

In all the information between the two types of pans, in lab tests, metal had a crust that was more tender than glass pans.

I have noticed that as well.

Honored Contributor

First off, when cooking any food it's always important to rely on testing the food for doneness and not to rely only on a specfiied time. This has been a problem I've battled with my husband for years. Food is done when it's done, regardless if the recipe says cook for 20 minutes or five hours. 

There are variables in baking that effect cooking times, the material of the pan, the color of the pan, oven temperature, altitude, humidity ect. Glass, ceramic and cast iron retain heat more than aluminum and stainless steel. Dark pans tend to over brown compared to very light ones. Oven temperatures can be lower or higher than the dial you set it to, which is why it's always wise to have an oven thermometer. Are you baking in a convection oven, that tends to cook foods faster. 

In general it's recommended to lower the temperature by 25 degrees when baking in glass, ceramic or cast iron or cooking in a convection oven, but that's just an adjustment to attempt to keep the same cooking time. Additionally, if it's something that will not be removed from the pan right after it's done, it's a good idea to adjust for the carry over cooking that happens in pans that retain heat a long time, otherwise you can end up with an overcooked product even if it seemed perfectly cooked when removed from the oven. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval