Respected Contributor

For convenience, I've been buying crates of eggs instead of a dozen at a time.
The last batch had quite a few cracked eggs.

You can barely see the cracks, but nevertheless, they are there and when I boil the eggs, the white pops out.

Are they still edible?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Are cracked eggs bad eggs?

as long as they look or smell fine, i would eat them. that is me....i know other people are more squeamish about it.

if i was using them in a scramble or fried in a pan i would crack them into a cup first and then make sure.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

The only 'cracked eggs' I use is the ones I crack myself.  Also, before I use any egg/s, I put them in a deep bowl of water....if it floats, throw it away.

Honored Contributor

I throw all cracked ones out, but that was what my Grandmother taught me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy eggs that I could determine they were cracked, but if it didn't smell bad when I got it out of the shell I would eat it. 

In fact, I just did last week.  There was an egg off to itself in the carton which should've been a clue.  When I tried to pull it out it was stuck to the plastic carton and it just broke open.  It didn't smell bad, so I just dumped the egg in with my other egg and scrambled.  My husband was out of town at the time and after he returned he told me there was a cracked egg in the carton.  He's the one who usually uses the eggs.  I just had to laugh and say "I know".  

Respected Contributor

@Texas Gray Wolf wrote:

The only 'cracked eggs' I use is the ones I crack myself.  Also, before I use any egg/s, I put them in a deep bowl of water....if it floats, throw it away.

================================

THAT is interesting!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

If we see a cracked egg in our carton and the goo is coming out, we will either throw it out or cook it up for the dogs.  But if it is cracked and nothing is coming out because that inside film is still intact, we will cook it and eat it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes @RinaRina they ARE bad. Bacteria enters eggs thru cracks in the shell. (I think it is salmonella)

Unless you know they are fresh cracks you can crack them into a container and keep them in fridge for up to 2 days.

In your case Id toss the cracked ones, better safe then sorry.

eta~ I wouldnt trust how long the eggs have been cracked before I purchased them.

Respected Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

Yes @RinaRina they ARE bad. Bacteria enters eggs thru cracks in the shell. (I think it is salmonella)

Unless you know they are fresh cracks you can crack them into a container and keep them in fridge for up to 2 days.

In your case Id toss the cracked ones, better safe then sorry.

eta~ I wouldnt trust how long the eggs have been cracked before I purchased them.

===============================================

That's the problem with buying sealed crates.  Altho', it's convenient, you don't know how many were cracked until you start using them.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I throw them out.

Even though we check before we put them in the cart, sometimes the crack is on the bottom or the side that is down in the carton.

There is no way of knowing if it was there when we bought them or if it happened on the way home from the store to the refrigerator.