Super Contributor

My family and I are relocating to New Jersey next June.  I've been looking at the towns in Essex, Union and Summit Counties, because they are closest to my DD and her family. Any suggestions of town would be appreciated. Also, I know anything in Essex County is pricey, but what are your thoughts on West Orange?  (I could only wish to live in Montclair or Milburne.)

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Ruby

Respected Contributor

Re: New Jersey and relocating

West Orange is a fine town but it's not cheap either. St. Barnabas hospital is in WO so there are lots of doctors in the area.  I live just west of WO.  Millburn and Montclair are nice; they have NJTransit railroad stations and most towns with rail service to NYC are more desirable IMO. 

Look on Zillow dot com and get an idea of prices.  Don't know your budget but $500,000 doesn't go too far around here and taxes will be around $1,000 a month if not more.  Your DD is in NJ, what does she suggest?

Occasional Contributor

Welcome to the Garden State.

I grew up in Essex County, Livingston (a very nice town, but $$). A little bit of trivia,  so did Jason Alexander and Chelsea Handler, (and our Gov, CC). West Orange is nice, alot of older homes with personality, but there is a nice section and a not so nice section.  I've lived in Morris County for over 15 years and I prefer it over Essex.  The taxes are so much more affordable. Towns like Denville, Mountain Lakes, Boonton, Montville & Parsippany just to mention a few, are nice towns.  Not sure where you live now, but homes in NJ are not cheap.  But one good thing about living here is......you'll never have to pump your own gas ever again!

Respected Contributor

some other things to add:  have you every lived in the area? I don't know where you are coming from--Nebraska, New England?  How about renting for a year or two then buying something once you get a feel for the area.

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

West Orange is a fine town but it's not cheap either. St. Barnabas hospital is in WO so there are lots of doctors in the area.  I live just west of WO.  Millburn and Montclair are nice; they have NJTransit railroad stations and most towns with rail service to NYC are more desirable IMO. 

Look on Zillow dot com and get an idea of prices.  Don't know your budget but $500,000 doesn't go too far around here and taxes will be around $1,000 a month if not more.  Your DD is in NJ, what does she suggest?

I'm in Somerset County (central NJ) and it's the same here- northern NJ is much pricier than my area. Maybe a 55+ community will be less sticker shock?

Honored Contributor

Hi Ruby! Do you mean Somerset County? Caldwell is a lovely little town with a small college that's in Essex County. 

Actually there are highways leading in and out of Essex, Union and Somerset counties that could possibly allow you a pretty easy commute to Parsippany, Montville, and East Hanover, all nice and some housing priced a little lower than closer to NYC.

West Orange is lovely in places. Take a look at Ittle Falls in Passaic County.

I'm sure you're aware that most of Northern NJ is probably more expensive than NE.

Let us know as you narrow your search and WELCOME to my home state!!!!! 

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

some other things to add:  have you every lived in the area? I don't know where you are coming from--Nebraska, New England?  How about renting for a year or two then buying something once you get a feel for the area.

Very good idea! I'm from the Midwest and moved to northern New Jersey for work and lived there for five years. Renting will allow you to really get to know the various towns if you can scout around, dine out, shop at both the grocery stores and the malls, and find a good hospital and doctors. Then plunk down the money and buy! I don't know if it's the same as when I moved there, but you even needed a realtor to find a rental and you had to pay the realtor fee! New Jersey is quite expensive, so be ready! Good luck to you! Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Have relocated five times. Some good advice from our realtor was, after you decide on an area, check out the grocery store. This will give you a good idea of the people that live there. 

Honored Contributor

@ScratchingPost wrote:

Welcome to the Garden State.

I grew up in Essex County, Livingston (a very nice town, but $$). A little bit of trivia,  so did Jason Alexander and Chelsea Handler, (and our Gov, CC). West Orange is nice, alot of older homes with personality, but there is a nice section and a not so nice section.  I've lived in Morris County for over 15 years and I prefer it over Essex.  The taxes are so much more affordable. Towns like Denville, Mountain Lakes, Boonton, Montville & Parsippany just to mention a few, are nice towns.  Not sure where you live now, but homes in NJ are not cheap.  But one good thing about living here is......you'll never have to pump your own gas ever again!

Jersey Girls don't pump gas

I have a magnet that says that

OTH don't move to Bergen County: NO Sunday Shopping, we go to Rockland county on sundays

Honored Contributor

I would go with the renting, will let you know the areas you might like or not.

It is not cheap to live in this state so you want to be sure that you pick the right place to be.  You didn't say if you have kids or if schools are important or not