Super Contributor

Dan Huges post on social media yesterday.

Did anyone else see that?  Said he is in the market for a new job.  Lost his QVC job one year ago yesterday but got a job listing from a recruiter to apply for QVC host job openings that are up now.  That is rather funny.  However, they are hiring more new hosts?  I wonder if senior hosts are going to start retiring by the end of the year.  Many of them are close together in age. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Dan Huges post on social media yesterday.

Not funny at all. Some companies get rid of older, more experienced and expensive employees only to rehire them at a lower, hourly wage or as a consultant-----

with no benefits.

Honored Contributor

The bigger question is why do they need more hosts when there are already too many?

Respected Contributor

Interesting... I would bet Q is looking for youngins who will take 1/2 the salary DH might want... That's why they layoff the older high paid hosts, to replace with cheaper talent (happens this way in many industries)- 

Valued Contributor

Has it been a year?! Talk about adding salt to the wound. That’s a shame.
Honored Contributor

I agree with the other poster that this isn't at all funny.

I went through it. I worked for a big corporation for nearly 40 years. I was high enough up the ladder to know what was really going on.

It was rough seeing how my division was letting a older, long-term employees go. I got so tired of the cr** that I retired at 62. Within 6 months, everyone over 60 was gone. 

This is common with big corporations. They can hire newbies for a lot less money.  They will scr** employees without batting an eye.

It boggles my mind that people continue to be so naive about how big corporations really function and the politicians who funnel trillions in federal welfare and tax breaks to them every year.  

Consumers make or break the economy. Without consumers, big corporations would fail. But most consumers can't donate enough money to politicians to get their attention.

Frequent Contributor

Sad but true.   I did a essay on this same subject when I was in high school in the '60's.  Coming from a pro union state I'm definitely pro union.   

Respected Contributor

I worked at the same place for 45 years and was in the union. The ones with the least seniority were the first to go if there was a lay off, though if there was someone in a different department with less seniority, if qualified, they could bump that person from their position and that person would get laid off. Management had no protection.

Regular Contributor

I agree that they let older workers go because of the salaries just to turn around and hire younger people and pay them less. Sadly happens all the time . My supervisor was let go because management knew I could do the job and my salary was probably half of what he got paid.
Respected Contributor

Never found Dan that watchable.Kinda boring. So rarely saw him. No interest in a book by any former Q host.