Honored Contributor

I hope you can dissuade your DIL.  I don't like the idea of a Rottweiler in an apartment with an infant - or any small child, for that matter.  They were bred to herd animals.  I read that they may even attempt to "herd" children.

Esteemed Contributor
They are very good family dogs if gotten as a puppy. But I would not get one that is already a adult since it would have a questionable background. Not around a baby. But having a infant is not s good time to get a puppy and all the work you have to put into it.
Super Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

You and I think alike @SeaMaiden

I agree with you two!!!!!  Why don't you send her an e-mail with all the comments from your thread???? Hopefully this will change her mind.

Keep us informed as to what her decision will be.

Esteemed Contributor
Plus they really need experienced owners and to make sure you go to a reputable breeder. But getting a puppy and trying to train a huge strong willed fog with bringing a infant home is irresponsible. I have a golden who are great family dogs and still tell people it's to hard with s new puppy and a infant. And no way would I bring a rot in from a shelter or anywhere with a baby.
Honored Contributor

As far as I'm concerned there is no dog that is appropriate to get right now.    The woman has no idea what it is like raising a kid, now she want to try to raise a dog too (and at the same time).

Good grief!  They both (especially the baby) takes so much effort, time and above all patience.  

My middle daughter just adopted a puppy.  She has girls, ages 10, 8 and 5.  She also has a housekeeper and a nanny and she's STILL going crazy!  Oh!  And she doesn't work!  Ha!  

The dog is teething and is chewing her walls.  She takes it to puppy school or whatever it is.  She's hired so many people to train the dog, tell her what to buy for it's chewing, etc.  They'll never get rid of the dog (they don't want to).  

My point is there is no disruption in life like a baby (i.e. lack of sleep and everything).  But it is really, really worth every single minute of it, believe me.  I love being a mom.

However, to take on an animal at the same time isn't fair to the animal or most importantly, the baby.  That baby is going to need all of their love and attention.  PERIOD.

There's plenty of time to LATER get a dog.  @Mmsfoxxie You are a mom, make her understand what she's in for (as far as sleepless nights, needing patience, so many things).  Dealing with a dog isn't something she needs to be doing now.

Honored Contributor

Now doesn't seeming a good time to get a dog.  Especially a breed that is known for attacking.  Sure some are the exception.  My sister's ex husband had a Springer spaniel when they got married.  One day out of the blue, he bit her hand.  She had to get stitches.  

Honored Contributor

Ladies, you're preaching to the choir.  I've told her how much work a baby is.  She's 32 and has never had to do anything for anybody dependent on her.  And I'm sorry to say that my son is a whimp where she is concerned.  My son will be working all day and she doesn't drive.  I have a feeling he's gonna be as busy with the baby as she is.  I might be wrong because she wants a baby so badly.

She grew up with a rotting so she must have reasons to feel as she does other than to say mother in law is wrong.  I referred her to articles that I googled.  We haven't talked today.  But you ladies know how careful the mother in law has to be.  They visited here last a Christmas for ten days and that's my only face to face meeting with her.  Nice but a little bossy.

Thanks for all of your input, ladies.  Oh, my hubby wants her to get a boxer, lol.  At least they're prettier.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rottweiler Dog

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned there is no dog that is appropriate to get right now.    The woman has no idea what it is like raising a kid, now she want to try to raise a dog too (and at the same time).

Good grief!  They both (especially the baby) takes so much effort, time and above all patience.  

My middle daughter just adopted a puppy.  She has girls, ages 10, 8 and 5.  She also has a housekeeper and a nanny and she's STILL going crazy!  Oh!  And she doesn't work!  Ha!  

The dog is teething and is chewing her walls.  She takes it to puppy school or whatever it is.  She's hired so many people to train the dog, tell her what to buy for it's chewing, etc.  They'll never get rid of the dog (they don't want to).  

My point is there is no disruption in life like a baby (i.e. lack of sleep and everything).  But it is really, really worth every single minute of it, believe me.  I love being a mom.

However, to take on an animal at the same time isn't fair to the animal or most importantly, the baby.  That baby is going to need all of their love and attention.  PERIOD.

There's plenty of time to LATER get a dog.  @Mmsfoxxie You are a mom, make her understand what she's in for (as far as sleepless nights, needing patience, so many things).  Dealing with a dog isn't something she needs to be doing now.

She is giving the puppy to much freedom. Invest in some baby gates of XPEN. Puppy should not have opportunity to destroy things. And the fact she doesn T work and still has a nanny and housekeeper I doubt she will take the time to train a dog.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Ladies, you're preaching to the choir.  I've told her how much work a baby is.  She's 32 and has never had to do anything for anybody dependent on her.  And I'm sorry to say that my son is a whimp where she is concerned.  My son will be working all day and she doesn't drive.  I have a feeling he's gonna be as busy with the baby as she is.  I might be wrong because she wants a baby so badly.

She grew up with a rotting so she must have reasons to feel as she does other than to say mother in law is wrong.  I referred her to articles that I googled.  We haven't talked today.  But you ladies know how careful the mother in law has to be.  They visited here last a Christmas for ten days and that's my only face to face meeting with her.  Nice but a little bossy.

Thanks for all of your input, ladies.  Oh, my hubby wants her to get a boxer, lol.  At least they're prettier.

If she can't be talked out of a puppy or dog. Try and get her to get a golden or lab.  Even a adult would be great around a baby and would already be out of the puppy stage.

Respected Contributor

Re: Rottweiler Dog

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

So you are saying she grew up with a Rottie? I would expect then that she is quite familiar with the breed and may be quite knowledgeable about this breed. This does make a difference, as it's not a breed that she just "randomly" wants and doesn't know what she's getting into. Yes, they are large strong dogs and there is the worry about little ones getting knocked down - as with any dog to be honest.  And if she does her research and goes to a good reputable breeder who breeds for stable temperaments than there's no more worry or "danger" about this dog "attacking" her baby than can happen with any other breed of dog. I've known plenty of little ankle biters that have bitten adults and children and would be of risk to a baby also.  I've also known some really poorly temperamented labs and goldens. Raising a baby while raising a well behaved/trained puppy can be done - and if you hardly know her, as it sounds, she may be much more capable than you are giving her credit for.