Honored Contributor

Pet Hair & Carpet... Roomba?

Anyone have one of those Roomba robotic vacuum cleaners? I have long haired cats and my German Shepherd sheds like crazy. I'm getting tired of vacuuming all the time. I don't want to vacuum every day. I'm wondering how well they work with pet hair and how hard they are to keep clean and empty. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Re: Pet Hair & Carpet... Roomba?

I have 3 cats, one is a Persian. I've had Roombas for about 6 years.  When my oldest one died in February, I told DH these were not luxury purchases, they were NECESSITIES! 

They are very easy to empty, however you must also clean them and pull the hair off the brush every other use.  My new Roomba is amazing... it runs well over an hour which is much more time than I'd ever vac any one room!   Cat hair under beds and cabinets is always an issue for me and Roomba solves this.

I really like them for bare floors also.

Honored Contributor

@Libbylady Thanks, can't they be auto programmed to run at specific times? I guess I could set a reminder so I clean it on schedule. 

I'm a little worried on how my GSD will react it to, she generally hates the vacuum, but I assume the roomba is much quieter. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a Roomba years ago.  They are probably better now.  Mine had a very small place that collected the dirt and pet hair.  I had to keep emptying it all the time.

Also, I had to pick up a lot, especially lamp cords and things like that, before I started the Roomba.  Otherwise, it would get stuck.  I didn't like it at all.  I hope all that is improved now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

We've had a Roomba for a few years and we're quite satisfied with it.  We run it every night, except Sat., when my husband vacuums (bless his heart).  He
"quick cleans" it every night before starting it (just pull out one portion and dump the dirt, pet hair in the garbage-takes 20 seconds).  We haven't had to pull it apart and clean the brushes very often since we have a new vacuum cleaner.  We have one Golden Retriever and we run the Roomba in the living room, dining area, hall and kitchen.  I love it!!!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad everyone likes them  I have been wanting one for a long time. My Dyson is just too heavy for me  to manage anymore.

Frequent Contributor

We've had a roomba for going on two years now and we love it.  We have two small dogs and the sound doesn't bother them at all.  It does a great job. Even when your floor looks visibly clean, the roomba finds plenty to pick up.  It goes over wood floors, tile, carpet, rugs.  Love that it goes under furniture.  I was a very good buy for us.

Honored Contributor

I HAD a Roomba  a to go with my four big hairy dogs.  I found I spent more time cleaning it's brushes than it would have taken me to vacuum.  It was sensitive and would stop running if it got a lot of hair in the brushes and they were tedious and messy to clean.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a Neato robotic vacuum. It was fine while it worked, but after replacing the expensive battery, it no longer charges.  Anyway, it was touted as a pet vacuum. I would say it is fine as a daily vacuum, but not as heavy duty as an upright.  For a thorough vac good for pet hair, I would recommend the Dyson compact animal--has 2 filters for the dander and is a smaller version of the full-sized Dyson.