Respected Contributor

Monthly Cost for Owning a Dog

Someone asked me what the cost for owning a dog  would be monthly. Our bulldog has been gone a couple of years, so I do not know current costs. What should I tell them? They are in San Francisco.

Honored Contributor

Re: Monthly Cost for Owning a Dog

It varies a lot on the size of the dog plus the quality of the dog food.  Our dog had a lot of allergies so we purchased food from a specialty pet store and it was expensive.  Then there are vet costs.  

Respected Contributor

FYI................washingtonpost.com has a story: "Think you want a dog? Take our quiz."

Cost? It's mentioned ~ $100/month. But it depends on several factors, age, breed, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't have dog but a 14 year old cat---I figure the food per month, both canned and dry, any meds per month, for me its litter for the poop box and then any vet bills---also I pay a fee per month at my apartment. There's licensing and grooming and maybe boarding fees or daycare----leashes/harnesses/bedding/toys  and poop bags---that's all I can think of---it ain't cheap!!! I spend way over $100 per month.

Honored Contributor

If someone is concerned about the monthly cost of any pet then maybe they are not really that interested and should not get a pet at this time.

Just my thought.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

If someone is concerned about the monthly cost of any pet then maybe they are not really that interested and should not get a pet at this time.

Just my thought.

FYI.......owning a pet is NOT an inconsequential purchase. I applaud those who do their homework prior to getting a pet, finding out it's not for them and then getting rid of it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie,  or maybe someone really wants a pet but wants assurance that they can do right by it.

Even a healthy pet is expensive.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@On It 

@On It wrote:

Someone asked me what the cost for owning a dog  would be monthly. Our bulldog has been gone a couple of years, so I do not know current costs. What should I tell them? They are in San Francisco.

My dog is old, but her food alone runs me abt. 200.00 a month.  Then vet cost. Not all the time, but when it happens, depends the cause, but always a blood and urine test required. Well over 200+.  In other words, not cheap, but they are worth it. 

I don't know how the homeless people who have dogs, do it.  I have given them handouts or dog food, sweaters for the cold, etc. 

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition Your response was more what I expected only I thought it could be higher. Our bulldog was expensive to maintain. We budgeted $350 for her monthly. She was rarely under, but often over that amount. She had a litany of conditions, but she was worth the expense.

For those of you who have no experience with bulldogs, the day they are born they require pet insurance. It is not an option. They are a delicate, expensive breed to maintain. Having been owned by one, I have no regrets. 

Respected Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Just my thought.

FYI.......owning a pet is NOT an inconsequential purchase. I applaud those who do their homework prior to getting a pet, finding out it's not for them and then getting rid of it.

What on earth does this mean?

What kind of message does "getting rid of it" send?  

By the way, not all pets are "purchases"--many are adopted these days.

There are plenty of people who have human babies who are unprepared financially and emotionally.

I have cats, dogs, and birds, and I have been a pet owner for decades.  One can go all out, or one can stick to a minimum budget.

I do not buy my sixty pound boy dog little costumes to wear, not does he go for weekly grooming, because he is a bit of a working dog, and like to run in the mud and the grass. A hose wash-down is fast and cheap.

You can buy deluxe refrigerated dog food or lessen the cost with bagged hard food and canned soft food.  Many dogs are not picky eaters--they just want a full belly and to be healthy.

Yes, all pets need their yearly check-ups and shots, and as they age, more medical intervention may be required.  It is the same with people.

Some of my cats are expensive pure-breds--others were adopted and saved from shelters. I love them all the same, and take care of all of them very well.  

Giving a needy animal a home does not have to be a budget-breaker, unless you choose to spend extra.  A few years ago I spent thousands on a cat that had cancer--he received almost the best care in the world.  Luckily I had the money to be able to do it, but that was my decision.  

My animals are my family--I never sit and calculate costs. If you think you cannot afford to care for an animal, then do not bring it home with you.