Honored Contributor

If You Trim Your Dog's Nails at Home

do you use clippers or a nail grinder?  Seems like it would be easier on the dogs and me to use a grinder.  Frankie isn't a problem but the Dingo likes to remind me he could take me down if he wanted to Smiley Surprised  He's not bothered by anything.  Super laid back unit it comes to his nails.  We have to muzzle him but it's still makes my heart stop when he jumps and acts like he'll bite.  He never has even without the muzzle but he makes you think he's going to.

Valued Contributor

Re: If You Trim Your Dog's Nails at Home

We use clippers, we have a female 55 pound German shepherd. She tolerates having it done but she doesn't like it. She doesn't act mad and scary to us.
Esteemed Contributor

I use clippers. It took some time to get used to doing but I am

comfortable using the clippers now on our dogs nails.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   I can't be bothered.  Nail clipping & polishing is part of the "grooming package" at PetSmart.  It's actually FREE as I get the "senior grooming package."

IMG_0226.jpg

Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

I love it!  I bought Frankie a dog polish "pen" in pink.  It was a disaster.  I'm sure I would have gotten better at it tho. But her "look" is to have grinch feet and the hair covers her nails.  The one time I used the trimmers to uncover her toenails, it wasn't a good look.  I just Googled "grinch feet on dogs".  Grinch wasn't the right term for her feet but this picture is

Muddy Dog Paws: 15 Easy Hacks to Stop Dog Tracks - Happy-Go-Doodle®

Honored Contributor

I've only ever had one dog that would tolerate the Dremel used on his nails, my avatar Collie.   That was because his exceptional breeder conditioned her pups to it from birth.  The rest get their nails clipped at the vet .  I'd never allow polish on my dogs nails, not even my poodles.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm  Same. Girl. Same.

My ridiculous chi-terrier turns into the Tasmanian Devil when I try to cut or grind her nails. She's 14 and has only gotten worse with age. When I give her a bath she screams like she's being beaten. We use sprays and wipes quite often.

SO....I have to pay to have her groomed. The last time she was at the vet, I asked if they would trim her nails. They told me it took three people. 

(Yes, I've tried every type of training and technique. My BIL's business is dog/pack/training and even he shoulder shrugs).

Otherwise, she's a sweet, smart good girl with strong opinions about grooming.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrels Are Trash 

she's a sweet, smart good girl with strong opinions about grooming.

Such a nice way to describe her hatred for grooming Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Mz iMac 

I love it!  I bought Frankie a dog polish "pen" in pink.  It was a disaster.  I'm sure I would have gotten better at it tho. But her "look" is to have grinch feet and the hair covers her nails.  The one time I used the trimmers to uncover her toenails, it wasn't a good look.  I just Googled "grinch feet on dogs".  Grinch wasn't the right term for her feet but this picture is

Muddy Dog Paws: 15 Easy Hacks to Stop Dog Tracks - Happy-Go-Doodle®

@monicakm   I wouldn't know where to begin to cut or trim! 

One of my grands recently was given a year old Portuguese Water Dog.  It has webbed feet Smiley Surprised  along w/curly hair all over its feet.  Like me, it's the groomers job to do nails. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I don't DARE clip our Golden's nails.  I'm SO afraid I'll cut into the quick!  We've always had the groomer do it.  If she's going for a full grooming (bathing and grooming), it's included.  If she just needs her nails clipped, we just bring her to the groomer.  The fee is $15-$20, depending on the groomer... but well worth it to us!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!