Respected Contributor

How can my house feel so empty

since I lost my big fellow when I still have 2 dogs (one a young rambunctious basset hound) and 4 cats?

Up until last year I was rescuing senior dogs and making sure their last years were filled with love and good care.  I lost 3 seniors in about 1 years time and it tore me apart.  Now I've lost my big guy who I rescued when he was less than a year old and I had him for 11 1/2 years.  I know the seniors need homes, but I just don't feel my heart or my budget can handle more than one senior in the house and my terrier is 13 1/2.

Anyway, long story short, I was browsing on petfinders and up popped two dogs that have just stolen my heart!  One is a 2 year old bassador (basset/lab mix), 2 of my favorite breeds.  The other is a 1 year old scottie basset mix.  They are at different rescues, but neither rescue actually has a physical location.  All of their pups are in foster homes.  I went ahead and submitted applications on both.  Fingers crossed that my applications are accepted and then that one or both of these sweeties mix well with all my furkids.

Respected Contributor

Re: How can my house feel so empty

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana you just have a huge, sweet heart.  Heart

Image result for bless the animal rescuers

Respected Contributor

Bless you for all you have done for the senior dogs!  I would love to rescue another greyhound, but my pharaoh hound is in bad health and I don't want to stress her out putting another dog in the house.  I really can't afford another dog anyway, but Story would sure love to have someone to play with everyday.  It's tough losing a dog, I don't know how you do it.  But I'm sure you made the last years of their lives meaningful and loving. 

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana You are a gift....you...you are a gift to all animal lovers.  I love animals, especially cats (have 2).  However, I could never do what you do.  I'm not selfless enough, you are.  It takes a special person to give love so freely, knowing you are setting yourself up for heartache within a limited number of years.

Thank you for doing what you do.  If you were near me, I'd take you to lunch AFTER I sent you a big bouquet of flowers, I do that sometimes.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana

I totally understand that empty feeling!  Whenever we lose a soulmate, we lose a part of us.  But, your Big Guy will be at your side constantly helping you go on.

Big Guy found those two furbabies for you - glad you've applied to adopt them as they'll be a special gift from your Big Guy!HeartHeart

Honored Contributor

Keeping my fingers crossed for you as well.

I lost my lab in November, I have a lab at home but she's going to be 14 this year and I have an old cat too.

On my Christmas vacation I was given a feral cat, had him neutered and I'm trying to make a housecat out of him, LOL!    I don't think it's going to work but he sure has livened things up at the house.    He's no replacement but it's good medicine and I feel like I saved him from a difficult & short life in the wild.

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

since I lost my big fellow when I still have 2 dogs (one a young rambunctious basset hound) and 4 cats?

Up until last year I was rescuing senior dogs and making sure their last years were filled with love and good care.  I lost 3 seniors in about 1 years time and it tore me apart.  Now I've lost my big guy who I rescued when he was less than a year old and I had him for 11 1/2 years.  I know the seniors need homes, but I just don't feel my heart or my budget can handle more than one senior in the house and my terrier is 13 1/2.

Anyway, long story short, I was browsing on petfinders and up popped two dogs that have just stolen my heart!  One is a 2 year old bassador (basset/lab mix), 2 of my favorite breeds.  The other is a 1 year old scottie basset mix.  They are at different rescues, but neither rescue actually has a physical location.  All of their pups are in foster homes.  I went ahead and submitted applications on both.  Fingers crossed that my applications are accepted and then that one or both of these sweeties mix well with all my furkids.

Honored Contributor

You must live in the country. I have never lived anywhere that it was legal to have this many pets.

Respected Contributor

@software - good luck with your feral kitty!  Time and patience play a big part in bringing them around.  I had a couple over the years that actually became lap cats which really surprised me.  I had one though that really just shared the house with me.  The farthest I got with her was that she came out of hiding and would stay in the same room with me but would disappear the moment anyone else came into the house.  She was sweet and pretty and I was happy to share my house with her.

Respected Contributor

@151949 - my cats are indoor cats so it's nobody's business but my own.  We are allowed up to 4 dogs legally.  I have a good sized house and it's just me, and a very large, completely fenced backyard as well.  Trust me, I make sure I'm well aware of the laws regarding pets and occupancy as I have a nasty busy body neighbor who actually gets up on his roof to be able to "inspect" my fenced in back yard.

Respected Contributor

Oh Buck-i-nana ... I share your pain .... as with springtime--new life blossoms--and one day your tears will turn to joy--I promise.  I am still in that process so know that others "out there" care~!

Image result for animated flower crying