Regular Contributor

Adding another dog to our pack

Hi there- I have three small dogs and am possibly adopting a larger dog Soon- who needs a new home. I have 1 female and 2 males all are spayed/ neutered and get along well. Have any of you integrated a larger dog in- he is described as a lover and currently lives with other dogs and cats. Two of my dogs are seniors and one is three. The dog I am looking to adopt is also around three.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
My three are all adopted from rescues or shelters. I don’t want to upset my three and am looking to help another animal in need. But trying to keep my emotions out of this and make a smart decision!
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding another dog to our pack

@lynbeechwood -

What a wonderful family it sounds like you have!

I would go with your emotions!Woman HappyHeart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@lynbeechwood 

My personal opinion is to not do it, unless he has previously lived with other SMALL dogs.

Large dogs don't really understand that they can be too rough playing with small dogs and injuries could happen, unintentionally.

You current dogs have established their pack in your home, adding a new bigger dog could really upset that.

The 2 seniors will not be receptive to such a big family/pack change, IMO.

I've been owned by every kind of animal you can think of, from horses, to a monkey and everything in between and I wouldn't do it.

Just my experience.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@lynbeechwood   I agree with @KingstonsMom .  I absolutely would not adopt the dog.  Your two seniors deserve to not have their life disrupted at this stage of their life.  

When one of my dogs died about ten years ago I had a senior dog left.  My Vet told me not to adopt another dog until he died.  She said it wouldn't be fair to him.  I had already decided not to, but she didn't know that.  I think you would really regret it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Would you be able to bring him home for an hour or 2 or longer like a weekend for a trial period before you make up your mind to see how it goes?  

Respected Contributor

Do you have city ordinances regarding how many dogs you can have?  We are limited to 2 dogs per household and the fines are stiff if you get caught.  My neighbors would turn me in for the barking and the smell if it wasn't cleaned up right away.  And then you need to decide if you can really afford the medical care for that amount of animals.  My little dog died last month and it cost me $1300 just for 24 hours of care.  I love dogs and would have several if I could.  But it isn't really fair to the others and not very realistic, unless you live on some acreage so they can roam.

Honored Contributor

I have brought new dogs into my established pack several times and have regretted it.  We've had a situation not unlike World War III.  Once the chemistry of a pack works, I hesitate to disrupt it.  Sometimes they get along until the honeymoon is over, then all hell breaks loose.

If you decide to proceed, do so with the understanding that it will be on a trial basis.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I would suggest trying to introduce them and see if there are any potential issues.  A friend at one time had 6 cats and 3 dogs and never had issues with bringing another dog or cat into her home.  A younger one often is invigorating to older dogs.

Trusted Contributor

Why make assumptions based on the experiences of others?  Bring the pooch home on a trial basis and see how it goes.  ❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@lynbeechwood wrote:
Hi there- I have three small dogs and am possibly adopting a larger dog Soon- who needs a new home. I have 1 female and 2 males all are spayed/ neutered and get along well. Have any of you integrated a larger dog in- he is described as a lover and currently lives with other dogs and cats. Two of my dogs are seniors and one is three. The dog I am looking to adopt is also around three.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
My three are all adopted from rescues or shelters. I don’t want to upset my three and am looking to help another animal in need. But trying to keep my emotions out of this and make a smart decision!

@lynbeechwood,  let me start by saying you know your current dogs and their personalities best.  Did you adopt all of them at the same time?  Is the youngest a recent addition?  How did they react to each other.

The personality of the individual dogs will tell you more about how successful you would be bringing in another dog no matter the size.

I have a pom/pap mix that accepts big dogs over smaller dogs, including those his size. 

You can't rely on the description of the large dog being a lover.  You need to determine that for yourself.  He may well be a lover in his home environment with his current dogs and cats but a challenge in new setting with new dogs.  On the other hand they all might bond immediately,

I fully support a trial run.  By seeing how they react to each other and keeping a keen eye out for red flags over two or three days will go a long way in making the right decision for your pack and the integration of the new pack member.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.