Respected Contributor

I'm not sure how sound the science is on this.  So often we hear that this or that causes something only to have it proved baseless years later.  I'm not trying to be provocative. This is just my impression of this issue that's been in the media recently.

Honored Contributor

There are lots of non talc powders on the market these days.

Honored Contributor

I can't find the other advertisement that I had made a note (of).  But, just last night another legal type of TV ad was from Paluski Law Firm, which stated 'baby powder'.  BTW, I recall lots of tall-ish, narrow tin cans of talc that my mom used to use, and I'm guessing also myself as well.  Also, the talcs in containers with a large powder 'puff'.  Boy, we didn't worry just about anything in those days. .............. However, I can see that inhaling powders of any type wouldn't be a good idea.  After all, don't our lungs have a lining of minute 'hairs' which filter/trap any foreign particles?  I'm guessing that the buildup of foreign particles in that filter/lining is where the problem eventually turns bad.  Just guessing, of course. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stop using baby powder!

[ Edited ]

I am not an expert, I am a nurse and I am an ovarian cancer survivor-almost 9 years.  My mother used baby powder on me as a baby, I have used Avon perfumed powders, as well as baby powder as an adult and used baby powder on my daughters when they were babies.  When I first heard about the possible problems with talc, we all stopped.  Still, the first words I heard on my 51st birthday was "You have ovarian cancer."  There are several commercials on t.v. in our area from different lawyers re; class action suits against J&J.  I did call and speak to one of the intake people at one of these law groups.  My concern was J&J supposedly knew about the possible link to ovarian cancer for years and years ago but failed to make consumers aware of potential dangers with continued use.  I feel that all manufacturers owe their customers full disclosure and failure to do so, is not acceptable.  I asked how they knew that the ovarian cancer was caused by the talc and was told that there were indicators on the biopsies done on the cancers that indicate talc as the suspect.  I come from a huge family on both my Mother and my Father's side, yet I am the only one that developed this cancer.  Did talc cause it?  Suppose I will never know that answer on this earth for sure but urge all those who continue using talc based powders to stop immediately.   There are other alternatives out there.  I support the drive to discover even just a test for this cancer because your yearly pap does not test for it.  You can develop ovarian cancer even if you do not have ovaries.  OCRF is a great site to gain knowledge and support.  September is National Ovarian Cancer Month and teal, the color of my post, is the color of its' ribbon. 

Ovarian Cancer Awareness ~ Why Teal ?

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your post.  I had Ovarian cancer too.(no history in family) my Onchologist told me not to use it...but I did when I was young.  Johnson and Johnson knew about it since 1971.  I have seen Shower to Shower powder with talc still on the shelves.  

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

I've always used it all over, including sprinkling it in my underwear after showering to stay "fresh" smelling all day. I guess that's one way it migh migrate to certain places, especially since I have no sense of "too much"! 😬 I also give my "girls" (or should I say my "toddlers"(lol) extra sprinkles when it is hot outside! I'm not saying this is a done deal, just figure that if there are any precautions I can take against the C word, I should. I've watched most of my family die from various forms of cancer so I try to look out for anything that might swing the pendulum in my favor! I just put it out there . Everyone can make his or her own choice. Oh, yes, it IS the talc that's the culprit, I just call things by the products I use, like Kleenex, Kotex, Vasoline, etc. Baby powder just came to mind!

That is why I avoid all makeup with talc.  I'm not gonna go fluffing that stuff around where I could inhale it. I figure it is pretty much akin to asbestos.  All that mineral powder stuff--must have sharp edges on the particles and who knows what "minerals" are in it in microscopic amounts.

Respected Contributor

Mustang66lady, and all other Ovarian Cancer survivors, I am so happy for you! That and Pancreatic are the two that worried me the most! I had a total hysterectomy 15 years ago (non cancerous reasons) so that fear was nearly erased, but my grandmother had Pancreatic cancer and I've had pancreatitis twice! Back to the main idea...I remember about 50 years ago my mother told me not to use baby powder in my underwear. She heard it could cause tumors if you had any kind of open cut in that area. I had many cysts exsized over the years so I was very careful not to use powder then. But, who isn't in love with that scent? My mother died from Cervical cancer 16 years ago. She never understood why she had contracted it, but I recall she, too, used to sprinkle the powder in her undies religiously! That's why I made notice when the adds came on tv. I know it is not pure science, but if I could save one person from getting cancer it's worth it!

To all the cancer survivors, I thank God for all of you! I know your trek has been hard but you have given us all proof that it can be beaten! God bless you all!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

@Imadickens

I'm so sorry for your loss.   As women, we need to unite to find a test, find a cure for "our" cancers.  Even though it has been almost 9 years for me, I still fear the words, "You have cancer" to this day.   Please have a blessed weekend and be careful.   Call out to me if you ever need to talk.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stop using baby powder!

[ Edited ]

Just to re-address what has been said before by others on this thread.  Not all baby powders contain talc, which is the concern for many.  However, after reading up on this - it is the talcs that contain asbestos that are dangerous and harmful.  So J & J claim that their baby powder is safe and that their talc is asbestos free.  There are a few brands of baby powder that don't contain talc, ie Honest brand.....I am switching.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

@violann wrote:

Cornstarch is an EXCELLENT food for fungal infection.

Anyone know of a PLAN C?

I use a very finely milled talc. that I had our pharmacy special order for me because I needed an unscented talc.

It is unscented and asbestos-free.