Honored Contributor

Re: $$$$$$ for shrimp !!!!!!!

I don't care how much the shrimp costs. I will not eat it. Grosses me out...the texture and that crunching sound when you bite into them...no! Smiley Tongue

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

I think..... I saw one of the gourmet shows, that I watched  for a minute this week,  that  there was 3# of shrimp for-------$90 !!!????? Are you kidding me???? I can get incredible shrimp, fresh and sustanable in all ways,  where I live, anytime of year and pay 1/4 of that price per pound---------and most times on sale. Holy cow !!!!!

@wagirl 

Is yours wild caught Argentinian pink shrimp?

Or farm raised shrimp from Asia.  Like from China,  Vietnam, or Thailand?  Those contain loads of toxins and mercury.  Check to see they do not contain TSP.   That preservative can cause cancer.   I will not purchase or eat shrimp or fish from Asia..

With food you get what you pay for.

I buy fish and shellfish from a local fishmonger who I know and trust.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't care how much the shrimp costs. I will not eat it. Grosses me out...the texture and that crunching sound when you bite into them...no! Smiley Tongue

@SilleeMee  I’ve never had my steamed or broiled shrimp make a crunching sound. Very strange.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  I’ve never had my steamed or broiled shrimp make a crunching sound. Very strange.

Maybe 'crunching' is not the right word...crunchy, firm, crisp texture.  But it's the texture that I cant' take mostly. Biting into a shrimp is just not for me. @proudlyfromNJ 

eta - Same goes for lobster! A big no for me there, too.

Esteemed Contributor

I know, @SilleeMee .  I don't mind the taste but I get immediately grossed out when I eat shrimp.  Don't like lobster, either.

I chalk it up to latent (archetypal) knowledge of allergy that has never manifested.

DH loves the stuff.  Easy meal, and I eat something else.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

The name of the product - Egg Harbor Pacific Jumbo Shrimp - is deceiving.  First off, Egg Harbor is on the Atlantic coast, near Atlantic City.  Second, the shrimp are farm-raised in India.  I guess the name is meaningless.

shrimp.JPG

Honored Contributor

@EatWell---what I buy is wild and NOT farm raised. I live in Wa state and get fantastic seafood year round. Will never buy anything farm raised or from those countries you named. I also do business with my local fish guy!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Missouri, and believe it or not, we do have access to most fresh seafood in the major city I live in. I only buy seafood that has been harvested in the U.S. - never anything imported from another country. The one thing we may not have access to are the wonderful fresh crabs from the Eastern shore. We have some major grocers and markets that offer fresh seafood (flown in) daily, and that's the only place I buy seafood. I like to see what I'm buying, where it was harvested, and the prices are much more reasonable than ordering online.

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@EatWell---what I buy is wild and NOT farm raised. I live in Wa state and get fantastic seafood year round. Will never buy anything farm raised or from those countries you named. I also do business with my local fish guy!

@wagirl 

You are lucky to live in WA state.  👍👍

I fly to Seattle and head straight to Pikes Place Market.   Fresh seafood, and organic produce.    Fresh whole salmon, and halibut, cut them into steaks.   The freshest and best quality.  In my freezer now, until my next trip to Seattle.  

Sometimes as a treat, I fly to Anchorage, Alaska to dine on fresh Alaskan King Crab Legs. 😀

Trusted Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

It may shock some people, but fresh seafood or gourmet cakes are NOT available in every part of the country.  That might just be why QVC sells those items.

Well I am shocked that you do not realize that these items do not arrive fresh.  They are frozen.  You can live just about anywhere in the U.S. and purchase frozen seafood or cakes. Yes, even those of us who live in land-locked states.