Contributor

Re: What was the main cookbook you started married life with?

The New York Times Book Book by Craig Claiborne, copyright 1961.  I purchased it new in 1970. I still have it and treasure it.. 

Esteemed Contributor

My Mom was a phenomenal cook.  So before i got married I got myself a blank notebook.  I would ask for her recipes and write everything down.  30 years later I still have that notebook... although it is really beat up.  

Valued Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

The Joy of Cooking (a copy over 50 years old), with a later updated version, and a paperback copy of the same.

Hey you, me too!!!  I haven't used it in ages, but I still have it and it helped me thru quite a few challenges.

@Deb1010yetagain   Hey Deb.....glad to see you back.    Hope you are doing OK.   di

I'm taking it one day at a time.  Thanks for asking and wishing me well.

Honored Contributor

Vintage Betty Crocker's New Picture Cookbook 1961 5-Ring Binder First Edition

ebay has first edition for sale for $139.99.  (I have first edition, second printing, well worn book but in tact.)

I still use this cookbook on occasion.  I also collect cookbooks and have between 50 and 75 of them (at least).  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Regular Contributor

I knew how to cook when I got married but I wanted more selections and ideas to go with, so I got the Betty Crocker cookbook. It's the big orange one. I still have it and still use some of the recipes to this day. That was back in 1972.
Honored Contributor

Betty Crocker.

I still love Betty Crocker Smiley Happy

In case someone doesn't know, Betty is online with A LOT of recipes and hints.  And you can subscribe for daily recipes by email and special collections like Christmas cookies during the holidays.

Honored Contributor

Betty Crocker Cookbook, 7th printing, 1971.  I still have my copy with its torn binding.  Page 55 with the blueberry buckle coffee cake has the most stains on the page, plus notes.

I kept the cookbook but didn't keep the husband.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

"A Treasury of Great Recipes" by Vincent and Mary Price..I memorized it

Honored Contributor

my mother gave me her Betty Crocker cookbook (red check front) and I still go that site or cookbook! I have my own BC (1973) got as a gift which I've used tons especially the cake/cookie section!

Valued Contributor

I got married in 1968 and my sister gave me two cookbooks (acceptable wedding presents in those days of little excess) which I use to this day:

Betty Crocker;

Better Homes and Gardens.

I would be lost without them - most recipes have "normal" ingredients and not the latest greatest spices or exotic ones that mean you have to ,make a trip to the store.