Occasional Contributor

Re: What's your favorite Pizza?

Lou Malnati's Chicago-style deep dish pizza ... absolute best!!! I also like California Pizza Kitchen's Thai Chicken pizza ... very good!

Honored Contributor

Green Mill deep dish with goat cheese and pesto (in MN where I'm from). Or Marco's thin pizza with double old world pepperoni here in Nashville. It's the kind of pepperoni that makes little cups that curl up at the edges. Yummy and easy to blot up the grease!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I actually love the pizza Vons (Safeway) make. We buy the pepperoni and it is large enough to feed a family of four nicely (three of which are hungry men). I also love Pizza Hut. Yes, I know it is greasy-but so good. When I was in college, there was a Pizza Hut close to the school, and it became a favorite. Love that rising dough smell-takes me back to my youth. I didn't grow up with pizza, being from a very small town.

Honored Contributor

On 2/14/2014 PamelaSue72 said:
On 2/13/2014 BooBoo2 said:

When grilling pizza, do you put it directly on the grill? How does it not fall through the grates?

You place a personal-size pizza dough onto the grill and let it bake that way. Then you use a large spatula to flip the baked dough. After the dough is flipped, that's when you put the sauce, toppings, cheeses, etc on to the pizza. Let it cook that way for a while, the put the grill lid down to melt the cheeses a bit. Use the large spatula to pick up the pizza and put it on a plate.

You don't make a really large pizza this way, at least I don't. I make up my pizza doughs ahead of time and stack them between parchment or oiled plastic wrap. Then I put two doughs on the grill at one time. They bake up, they get gorgeous dough bubbles and they get grill marks.

Try it sometime! Grilled pizza is wonderful. The grill is hotter than your oven and it gives a gorgeous crust.

PamelaSue, If your pizza dough for the grill isn't on here somewhere, would you share it please?

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2014 Windycity said:

Chicago! The only place for pizza! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Been there, done that, loved it!!

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2014 Racer Girl said:

In my town there are 4 NY style pizza shops that are each locally owned -- 3 of which I love but for different topppings. There is one Pizza Hut in town but the only cars you see there are not the locals.

Shop 1 -- traditional, here forever, Italian 3rd generation owned. Love the cheese pizza, great meatball (homemade and thin shaved) with mushrooms and onions. All pizzas have a tomato based sauce.

Shop 2 -- 15 years old, more contemporary flavor combos, different pizza sauces (tomato, bbq, alfredo, etc). Love the pizza with chicken, bbq sauce, caramelized onions, and pineapple. Terrific calzones, baked brucetta, salads, etc.

Shop 3 -- 30+ years, traditional with some contemporary offerings. Love the pizza with ricotta and onion toppings.

Shop 4 -- small regional chain. I don't like the sauce, crust, or cheese there. They are the only one of the 4 shops that has chicken wings -- one of their specialties.

For a smaller city, we really have the best pizza around! When people move away and return to visit, the first stop is pizza shop 1 because they've been craving that pizza since the last visit.

Gee, I need to venture out and try some new varieties. I feel like a stick in the mud. Lots of ideas on which ones to try now. Good job, ladies!

Super Contributor

On 2/16/2014 Windycity said:

Chicago! The only place for pizza! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Right. Well, while I'm sitting at the airport ... Costco deep dish. Wink