Honored Contributor

Re: Vintage Pyrex Bowl Recreations

Noel7 wrote:

Here's the QVC link to the sets QVC carries:

http://www.qvc.com/catalog/search.html?langId=-1&storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&keyword=pyrex+bowls

Well, those are kind of cute!  oy - why did I go there?  *sigh*  Smiley Happy

Furthermore, black is my favorite color.  The singles I got are just clear glass with yellow detail and singing birdies, matching seals.

Honored Contributor

I sent the bowls back because the design is SN add on that looks to me like it could separate and peel from the dishwasher.There is a ridge on the end of the print where the design is attached by some form of glue I think.

Honored Contributor

Whatnow wrote:

I sent the bowls back because the design is SN add on that looks to me like it could separate and peel from the dishwasher.There is a ridge on the end of the print where the design is attached by some form of glue I think.

Oh, that's not good.  Smiley Sad  Thanks for the info.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Spotted my set on the link was provided.  This is one time when the QVC price was less than I paid.  Now why don't they do a TSV for something practical like these bowls?

Honored Contributor

My mother had/has a set similar to the turquoise one in the link.  They aren't my thing.  I'm not a retro girl.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:  

Just got the bowls, they are cute, I like them for casual serving bowls.

NOT FOR THE OVEN OR STOVETOP

MICROWAVE & DISHWASHER SAFE

Honored Contributor

I have had part of my mother's set, plus fill-ins, for years.  They are fantastic in the oven.  The only problem is the dishwasher, it will ruin the paint.  I have purchased the yellow and green again from estate sales or auctions and hand wash those.  Those two bowls get more use than anything around here for mixing up cookies, potato salad and meatloaf, even some baking. 

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

I bought a set of Pyrex measuring cups at Costco a few months ago - they called it an Anniversary Edition. I couldn't believe it when the markings began to wear off in the diswasher! What good are measuring cups with no markings?

Honored Contributor

I have some of the old (antique) Pyrex liquid measure cups (1c, 2c, & 4c). They are the ones with the red writing, full 'D' handles - original.  I got them in brand new condition from ebay years ago.

Even though they are the older types, I don't put any of them in the dishwasher because I've always been concerned that it would end up removing the paint.   I've had they for quite a few years and don't even know how long ago they were made (decades!), and they are still like new.

Honored Contributor

I have some, too, @chickenbutt

i've used them in the microwave to heat water quickly.