Valued Contributor

Re: Toaster ovens...yea or nay?

I have a Black and Decker and I love it, esp in the summer so the whole kitchen doesn't heat up. You'd be amazed at what you can cook in it, esp. if you are cooking for just one or two people.

Trusted Contributor

We used to have a toaster oven and when it died (about ten years ago), we talked about getting another one. But we've not done so yet. I guess if I don't use it and don't miss it, I don't need one.

Respected Contributor

We love ours. There are two of us and we use it quite a bit. I'd hate to go without it.

Honored Contributor

We haven't had one in 20 years. They are ugly, messy and there is nothing I can't cook in the oven. I don't worry about heating up the oven--cost wise it isn't much and it doesn't heat up the kitchen because it is a self cleaning one. Those are well insulated and they have to be or they'd burn the house down at the temps they reach.

I just thought it was unsightly and got rid of it when we moved.

Trusted Contributor

I've had only Black & Decker Toaster ovens in many years and I would hate to do without. I just can't heat up a big oven for something small. Sometimes I have both going at once. Its not for everything but its great for small things. But we are all different. Smiley Wink)
Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

I love mine and use it all the time. I would give up my microwave before I gave up my toaster oven.

Respected Contributor

I love mine......I too would give up my mocrowave before my toaster oven....it's great for reheating/heating up small things like a slice of pizza...garlic cheese bread, left overs, etc.....it heats up faster than my regular over so cook time is quicker.

Super Contributor

Yea and another vote for the Breville Smart Oven. Have always had a toaster oven and would not be without one. I had Cuisinart Toaster/Convection Oven, that I loved, but they don't make that particular model any longer. My husband surprised me with the Breville Smart Oven for Christmas, when he noticed the Cuisinart was not browning/toasting/working as well as it used to. In the Cuisinarts defense, it was over 12 years old and used multiple times everyday. As other posters have mentioned, you can do so much with them now. There are two of us, aside from the usual toast and such, it is great for small batches of cookies, pot pies, openface toasted cheese sandwiches, french fries, onion rings and so much more and the best part is that it does not heat up the kitchen in the warmer months.

tkins

Honored Contributor

On 5/13/2014 tkins said:

Yea and another vote for the Breville Smart Oven. Have always had a toaster oven and would not be without one. I had Cuisinart Toaster/Convection Oven, that I loved, but they don't make that particular model any longer. My husband surprised me with the Breville Smart Oven for Christmas, when he noticed the Cuisinart was not browning/toasting/working as well as it used to. In the Cuisinarts defense, it was over 12 years old and used multiple times everyday. As other posters have mentioned, you can do so much with them now. There are two of us, aside from the usual toast and such, it is great for small batches of cookies, pot pies, openface toasted cheese sandwiches, french fries, onion rings and so much more and the best part is that it does not heat up the kitchen in the warmer months.

tkins

tkins do you have the large oven or the mini one? I'm thinking of getting a Breville but not sure which one to go with. Each one has their good points so I'm unsure which one to get. Price isn't a deciding factor for me. If the oven is good it will be worth the price.

Contributor

I got one about 2 years ago and love it. I have a 4 yr old so not having to pre heat saves time while cooking. If I can fit it in the toaster oven I use it. if it is a 9x13 it has to go in the regular oven