Honored Contributor

The science of silicone measuring cup purchasing

I bought the Curtis Stone silicone measuring cups.  The very first recipe I used them for called for 1/3 cup milk and 1/3 cup butter.  There are no 1/3 cup increments on any of the three cups.  So I checked Kochblume on QVC, they also don't have 1/3 cup markings.  Off to Amazon, where I found two sets that do, one is Oxo and the other is a company I'm not familiar with.  Both of them have very complete markings.   So HSN's are going back and I will re-order from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Re: The science of silicone measuring cup purchasing

That is very strange.  I never saw a measuring cup that wasn't calibrated for 1/3 cup.  I'd return them too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I had never heard of silicone measuring cups before your post, had to look them up on Amazon.  I only have Pyrex and stainless steel.

Honored Contributor

I recently dealt with this, as to measuring SPOONS.

I had begun purchasing a supplement item.  You put 1/3tsp into a little water and drink it.   Ok.

So, having probably at least 4 sets of measuring spoons, I set out to grab a 1/3tsp spoon.  Nope!  None of them have 1/3tsp.

I set out to Amazon to find another set and lucked out in two ways - found a set with a 1/3t AND they are two-ended.  On one end each spoon is round and the other end has the same measurement in a slightly elongated, less wide, spoon.    

That made it even better because the elongated end fits right into the top of my bottle of water.  

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt, you are so right about 1/3 tsp when it comes to measuring spoons.  Those are rare to find in a set.  I needed a 1/3 tsp for measuring my hair color since I mix shades.  Finally found a 1/3 tsp in a set of plastic measuring spoons.  Funny, when we were cleaning out my parents' home after my father died I found a partial set of copper measuring spoons I had a sentimental attachment to.  Not sure why as we never cooked together, but I just remembered them for some reason.  There was also a 1/3 tsp left in that set. 

I prefer Pyrex for measuring liquids and metal for dry ingredients.

Honored Contributor

A third of a cup is 2.6666 oz.  So 2.5 oz is really close.  At least for most things I do it is.  

Honored Contributor

None of this surprises me very much.  So many younger families use fast food or convenience foods.

No one recognizes that wings have fat.  Some may melt, but it certainly doesn't disappear.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass - Have you tested the silicone measuring cups against a traditional glass pitcher-style measuring cup for accuracy? I found that the measurements weren't quite the same with the silicone (though discrepancies weren't too crazy). Since I primarily measure wet ingredients for baking, when precision matters more, I wasn't willing to make the compromise just to avoid glass.

My two-cents' worth...  Smiley Wink