Honored Contributor

Are any companies, American or elsewhere, still producing Sterling Silver tablewear?

I got a beautiful International Sterling pattern when I was married decades ago, and I've added to it since, mostly through Replacements, but I know it's no longer manufactured.

IHas anyone known a bride who has bought silverware lately?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Sterling Silver Flatware?

Towle, Gotham and Wallace do. They are on Wayfair.com.  About 11,000-12,000 for 66 piece set. They have 5 piece place settings as well. I imagine some jewelry stores such as Tiffanys would carry it too.

Frequent Contributor

Sorry, Gorham.

Super Contributor

My parents received a huge set on a handsom satin lined polished wooden case over 58 years ago. I think it is sterling silver plated though. Do they make pure sterling flatware? Seems to me 100% sterling would be very soft and bendable. If so interesting.

Mint

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up in Germany.  My mother grew up after WWI and got married in 1939.  During that time period (between WW1 and WW2) absolutely nothing could be bought in Germany.  So when my sister and I grew up in the 50s and 60s,  she demanded that we give her 50% of our salary with which she purchased the two of us 12 of everything; the best linnens, bed sheets, and silver.  She picked everything out and purchased it (we had no input).  She was fulfilling her dream and was happy doing it.

When I came here in 1965, I did bring my valuable silver with me, but not the other stuff.  I used the silver tableware for guests and I polished everything from soup ladle to sugar tongues twice a year.  So a few years ago I decided to sell it knowing how valuable this was and expecting quite a bit of money.  Each piece had a stamp on it which I looked up on the internet and found to my horror that it was only silver plated.  So, when I sold it, I received the grand sum of $230.00,

I consoled myself knowing that my mother had a lot of fun doing it and was very proud that her daughters had only the best of everything.

Honored Contributor

@Mint2 wrote:

My parents received a huge set on a handsom satin lined polished wooden case over 58 years ago. I think it is sterling silver plated though. Do they make pure sterling flatware? Seems to me 100% sterling would be very soft and bendable. If so interesting.

Mint

@Mint2  Yes,  they've always made sterling flatware but it has become prohibitively expensive.   Maybe they harden it somehow but it's definitely made. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I think there are a lot of places that carry sterling, but it can sell for at least $1,000 a place setting.  I have a Towle pattern service for 8 with all of the serving pieces purchased in the late 60's, and was quoted a price of $2500 for the set now. My pattern is still carried at Macy's.  Sterling is not really that popular since the life style today seems to be casual and by the time you get all the serving pieces, you have spent a fortune for something you may not use.  A good stainless steel pattern I think is much preferred, that is what I have heard from jewelers in my area.  I have really never used my set.  It is packed away in the closet and I forget about it most of the time.  Silver is supposed to go up one of these days, I am waiting and then will sell mine.

Honored Contributor

@Moira  Newsflash!   The price of silver has already gone up.   Better get yours out of the closet and into a bank vault. You may be in for a big shock when you get it appraised again.   Seriously,  don't leave it sitting where it could be stolen. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We bought a set of Reed & Barton sterling flatware in the pattern "18th Century"  in the late '70s or in the '80s. We only occasionlly use it. Instead of buying the serving pieces in sterling, we bought them in the same pattern but in stainless.

Our neighbors at our previous house used their sterling flatware daily and even put them in the diswasher. Their philosophy was that they wanted to enjoy it, not stick it in a cupboard.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We bought a set of Reed & Barton sterling flatware in the pattern "18th Century"  in the late '70s or in the '80s. We only occasionlly use it. Instead of buying the serving pieces in sterling, we bought them in the same pattern but in stainless.

Our neighbors at our previous house used their sterling flatware daily and even put them in the diswasher. Their philosophy was that they wanted to enjoy it, not stick it in a cupboard.

@suzyQ3

that is what we encouraged my mom to do. she wanted to purchase a new flatware set a few years ago. she was also considering selling her LUNT ELOQUENCE set of silverware......and she has a lot of pieces collected over the years.

she got rid of her mismatched flatware, didnt buy a new flatware set, and began using her silverware for every meal. it is nice to see it just doesnt come out a few times a year for special occasions. she just puts it in the dishwasher with no problems.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein