Honored Contributor

Re: Single or double bowl kitchen sink?

My condo came with double sinks - both the same size.  I really dislike them for just the reason you listed -  big pans, cookie sheets, refrig bins - none of those fit.

It's an extra expense to change the sink size and do the new plumbing, so that so far none of my neighbors who have already remodeled did that.  I'll have to make a decision and decide on the trade-off at the time I finally get around to redoing my kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

When we remodeled our kitchen I got a dishwasher and went to a very deep ss sink. 

I never missed having a double sink. 

Whenever I wash by hand I dry them immediately and put away immediately. 

Esteemed Contributor

I chose a double. Everybody I know who has a single has regretted their decision.

Respected Contributor

I personally love my double sink.

It is 8" Deep  x  15  1/2" x 14  1/2" one side has the garbage disposal.  It makes it convenient for placing dirty dishes in this side of the sink.  I always do a quick rinse / wash of the dishes before placing them into dishwasher.  

Honored Contributor

Always stainless steel double bowl sink for me; equal size bowls on each side, but deeper than what is considered standard.   

Respected Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

i understand that you really want a large single sink for your baking sheets, but i have to tell you that i was thinking the same way once, and i did get the one big sink and i was never so sorry.  i'll never do that again.so many times i have dishwater in the sink and i find myself using the other sink for something else.  

That was my DH's rationale against a single bowl, too.  He pointed out how often I have one bowl filled with hot, sudsy water as I cook and invariably need the other bowl to either drain, e.g., pasta, or rinse.  I hate to admit it, but he was right.  Woman Surprised

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always disliked the standard double bowl sinks I'd had over the years so when it came time to remodel, I chose a single bowl.  And never regretted it once.

I don't use it half-filled with suds and never did that, so that feature wasn't ever important for my use.  I also didn't like that with two bowls, the large items did not fit. And those large items I would have to wash by hand anyway since they didn't fit into the dishwasher either.

Here is a picture of the style of sink I have (not my actual sink at home).  I chose to only get the upper rack, not the lower.  I am still in love with this sink many years later.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I've always dislikd the standard double bowl sinks I'd had over the years so when it came time to remodel, I chose a single bowl.  And never regretted it once.

I don't use it half-filled with suds and never did that, so that feature wasn't ever important for my use.  I also didn't like that with two bowls, the large items did not fit. And those large items I would have to wash by hand anyway since they didn't fit into the dishwasher either.

Here is a picture of the style of sink I have (not my actual sink at home).  I chose to only get the upper rack, not the lower.  I am still in love with this sink many years later.

Hi Homegirl,

I love your sink, very nice!  Who makes it?  I would use that upper rack to put the washed & rinsed dishes on to then dry with a towel. 

Contributor

I did a complete, from the floor up, remodel of my kitchen this summer.  After the cabinets and counters were all installed, I couldn't decide about putting back in my double stainless steel sink or getting a new and different style.  After talking with my son about it, he suggested I keep the double sink part but instead use a different material.  It is some kind of a black coated steel and I love it since my new walls are painted a light gray w/dark gray trim, gray marble-like counters, white cabinets and refrigerator and all small appliances are either black or red.

So to answer your question.....I like the double sink.

Honored Contributor

Mimi 2 Five wrote:

I did a complete, from the floor up, remodel of my kitchen this summer.  After the cabinets and counters were all installed, I couldn't decide about putting back in my double stainless steel sink or getting a new and different style.  After talking with my son about it, he suggested I keep the double sink part but instead use a different material.  It is some kind of a black coated steel and I love it since my new walls are painted a light gray w/dark gray trim, gray marble-like counters, white cabinets and refrigerator and all small appliances are either black or red.

So to answer your question.....I like the double sink.

Love your colors!