Occasional Contributor

Anybody out there serve kraut for Thanksgiving?  I had it at a friend's dinner one year and have been fixing it ever since.  Really complements all those carbs.  Is it a Maryland thing?  I dont put pork in it, though. 

Super Contributor

Re: Saurkraut for Thanksgiving

Absolutely! I'm hungry already. If I'm making a small amt I just heat it up with a little caraway seed. If I'm doing a large amt I use sausage, apples and brown sugar. Yes, I'm from MD.
Valued Contributor

Always, a family tradition, yummy!

Honored Contributor

yes, i am from maryland and we serve pork and sauerkraut for thanksgiving, along with the turkey. my mom always said it was more of a german thing than a maryland thing. i slow cook the boneless pork country spare ribs (after searing them on top of the stove) in the sauerkraut with lots of freshly ground pepper. i remember my grandfather eating it directly on top of his mashed potatoes.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Interesting. I like saurkraut, just never ever thought about it for Thanksgiving. I know my family would be like "huh???". I  do think it would be good with all the usual Thanksgiving fare though... Hmmm, might just have to shock 'em all this year!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

My family is bohemian so pork and sauerkraut (or what we call zeli) was a staple on our table.

This is very close to what my mom would make except she would add the flour at the beginning making a rue.  If my mom had bacon drippings (or sometimes fried up a couple of slices of bacon) she would also use this to saute the onions in and make the rue adding in the bacon bits.  If bacon wasn't used, she would also add a splash of either pork or turkey drippings to add to the flavor:

http://www.food.com/recipe/bohemian-sweet-and-sour-cabbage-169164

Respected Contributor

I've never heard of having it at Thanksgiving.  I love it tho.  My family makes it all the time.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

My family is bohemian so pork and sauerkraut (or what we call zeli) was a staple on our table.

This is very close to what my mom would make except she would add the flour at the beginning making a rue.  If my mom had bacon drippings (or sometimes fried up a couple of slices of bacon) she would also use this to saute the onions in and make the rue adding in the bacon bits.  If bacon wasn't used, she would also add a splash of either pork or turkey drippings to add to the flavor:

My son does it this way and I love it.  My grandmother always did her sauerkraut with cut up hot dogs and then cornbread poured on top and all baked together for a quick casserole with a side of butterbeans.   Yum!! I could eat both with Turkey and Dressing, the more the merrier on my plate!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

My son does it this way and I love it.  My grandmother always did her sauerkraut with cut up hot dogs and then cornbread poured on top and all baked together for a quick casserole with a side of butterbeans.   Yum!! I could eat both with Turkey and Dressing, the more the merrier on my plate!!

It really is very good and not very hard to make and I would definitely line up for your grandmother's recipe too . . . do you happen to know how she prepared her cabbage before adding the hotdogs and cornbread as I think I would like to try this.

Many thanks for any assistance you can lend . . . Smiley Happy

@beckyb1012

Occasional Contributor

Re: Sauerkraut for Thanksgiving

I caramelize the onions, apples, add the sauerkraut, caraway and a bay leaf.  I add some beer  and cook it down.  Awesome.