Honored Contributor

Re: Regional Eating in the U.S.

Believe me brisket isn't missing from Tx. in Amarillo it rules.

I never even knew what it was till we moved here 5 yrs ago.

Pretty good if your a meat eater. Vegetarians would probably starve to death in meat country. I'm more a chicken, turkey person, myself. They usually only advertise turkeys once /twice a yr. down here and boy I run to stock up.

Everything is regional just the way it is.

Respected Contributor

Definately the Chicago Deep Dish Pizza for the Midwest.  I'm also down South a lot and where are the boiled peanuts???  I grew up drinking sweet tea (in Illinois), so when I'm in the South, I feel at home. 

Respected Contributor

What the heck is "Election cake?"  New England roots since the 1600's and I've never heard of it. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

I'm in the South East and have never heard of Ozark pudding.  I would say we are more like the deep south--key lime pie, fried chicken and sweet tea than the South East's biscuits and gravy, shrimp and grits and Ozark pie.  I do love shrimp and grits though, but it's certainly not on every menu.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I am in the Great Lakes region. I have not seen Cincinnati chili outside of Ohio.  Thin crust pizza is much more popular than Chicago Deep Dish (I am originally from Chicago), and I've only had cheese curds at the State Fair.  Maybe there are not many "famous" dishes from the region. My guess would be beer and brats, fresh lake fish like walleye, cherries and blueberries. 

Respected Contributor

Totally agree with BeckiB1012 - Nothing is more Texas eating  than bbq, chicken fried steak, or Mexican food!! And, instead of that mango salsa it would be just salsa  with tomatoes and peppers - good and spicy! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I didn't know about election cake either.

From Bon Appetit:

After the Revolution, the women brought the cake to early voting sites to help “muster” votes, and it became known as election cake. Back in those days, when elite white men were the only ones who could rock the vote, women claimed their place in political culture with a monstrous cake for the masses. And while it's hard to believe now, in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries Election Day was a holiday just as important as Christmas, and food was central to it. Bonfires, barbecues, whiskey, and cake helped to amplify the revelry and encourage voting. Whiskey, cake, and voting, an American tradition we can get behind.

Cake.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Camogirl, Cincinnati Chili is very popular in Northern Kentucky, across the river from Cincinnati. 

Honored Contributor

Not really. Mid-Atlantic here and EVERYTHING shown is popular where I live . *shrugs*

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I didn't know about election cake either.

From Bon Appetit:

After the Revolution, the women brought the cake to early voting sites to help “muster” votes, and it became known as election cake. Back in those days, when elite white men were the only ones who could rock the vote, women claimed their place in political culture with a monstrous cake for the masses. And while it's hard to believe now, in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries Election Day was a holiday just as important as Christmas, and food was central to it. Bonfires, barbecues, whiskey, and cake helped to amplify the revelry and encourage voting. Whiskey, cake, and voting, an American tradition we can get behind.

Cake.jpg

Interesting. Who knew?  Not me, for sure. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )