Honored Contributor

Re: Regional Eating in the U.S.

i would say that the mid-atlantic was very accurate, but of course, missing a lot of things. three items cannot sum it all up. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@debic wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

We drink a lot of coffee and eat a lot of fish here in the Pacific Northwest but I have never had huckleberry pie.  It is mostly correct.

My brother in Mt. goes out and picks huckleberries for pie, jelly, etc.

I'm in the NW and we eat huckleberries and just about any other berry. Growing up in Oregon, marionberry pie was also a favorite. I have friends who will not give up the locations of the wild huckleberry patches where they pick--these are closely guarded secrets! Huckleberries are similar to blueberries. 

Honored Contributor

You could write an entire book just about what they eat in Pittsburgh. As a matter of fact - someone did - it's called "What Pittsburgh Eats".It's a cookbook, and it's fabulous.

Esteemed Contributor

Out West here. 

Well, the sandwich part wasn't really what folks desire.  We like

Salads,

Pizza,

Mexican Food,

Sushi,

Chinese,

Veggi, Vegan Food

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Zhills,What you describe is a lot like NC used to be.

Honored Contributor

I'm in NC and shrimp and grits is a Charleston, SC dish as far as I know.

I grew up eating game, rabbit or squrrel with gravy for breakfast very often.  We often fried razor thin pork chops and did scrambled eggs in the pan.  There was a lot of country ham with "red eye" gravy and I never cared for either of those.  Many meals had a plate of sliced tomatoes and or spring (green) onions.  

We often had greens, fresh turnips, dried beans (which I never liked) and cornbread with the chicken, beef, or pork we had for dinner.

Lots and lots of pound cake when I loved two layer frosted cakes as a child.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pittsburgers eat a lot of eastern European foods due to many eastern Europeans coming thee to work in the steel mills. So perogies, haluski, sauerkraut, keilbassi. And then  Italian & german foods are also popular. Of course there are also the well known odd stacked foods like Primantis sandwiches - thick cut Italian bread, meat & Cheese, french fries and cole slaw. And you have to at least once experience it at the original Primantis store in the strip district. In Pittsburgh if you order a chicken salad  you are going to receive a tossed salad topped with sliced grilled  chicken breast and french fries and melted cheddar cheese. It doesn't sound nearly as delicious as it tastes.

Trusted Contributor

Great Lakes area, here. Yes, the curds and Chicago pizza are very popular, but never the Cincinnati chili. Chili with cheese on top is popular here.

Honored Contributor

Funny story....

When we moved to Tx. We ordered chili waitress says you want beans in it?

cruise.gif

Like what ?   LOL   Of course, guess, they just want some kind of meat in it. I thought I was being punked and the camera was hid. LOL

Respected Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I didn't know about election cake either.

From Bon Appetit:

After the Revolution, the women brought the cake to early voting sites to help “muster” votes, and it became known as election cake. Back in those days, when elite white men were the only ones who could rock the vote, women claimed their place in political culture with a monstrous cake for the masses. And while it's hard to believe now, in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries Election Day was a holiday just as important as Christmas, and food was central to it. Bonfires, barbecues, whiskey, and cake helped to amplify the revelry and encourage voting. Whiskey, cake, and voting, an American tradition we can get behind.

Cake.jpg

Interesting. Who knew?  Not me, for sure. 

whiskey on Election Day!? Ironic, since my dad owned a liquor store when I was a kid and by law, could not open on Election Day..Bars were also closed..As i recall, this changed in the. 1970's...