Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a recipe for a vegetable side dish for Thanksgiving

On 11/18/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I'm making a Maple Braised Butternut Squash with Thyme. My son devours it. I buy the precut squash from the market because peeling and cutting a butternut squash is a chore.

• 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
  • 1 3- to 31/2-pound butternut squash, cut lengthwise in half, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 1/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon (or more) black pepper
Melt butter in heavy large deep skillet over high heat. Add squash; sauté 1 minute. Add broth, syrup, thyme, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until squash is almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer squash to large bowl. Boil liquid in skillet until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Return squash to skillet. Cook until tender, turning occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with more pepper, if desired.

I'm also doing roasted vegetables.

This sounds really good. I do one with 5-spice but think I will put this on my list of recipes to try.

Super Contributor

I made this kinda by accident the other day!

Scalloped Potatoes in the Ninja crock pot!

Slice potatoes thin (I do not peel them).

Put a little oil in the bottom of crock, lay some of the potatoes in the bottom (in 2 layers).

Add chopped fresh garlic 2 cloves or more or none and a little cold butter in chunks,add remaining potatoes salt and pepper. NOW pour 1 can of carnation milk over the top and bake on high an hour or so,or low and slow(I have never done them that way).

So what you end up with is a creamy potatoes that look and feel like they are loaded with CHEESE,but they ARE NOT. In the Ninja they got crispy on the edges & bottom like they would on top baking in the oven. Easy and YUMMY . Weight Watcher friendly.

Enjoy

RACA

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/18/2014 DiAnne said:
On 11/18/2014 HonnyBrown said:

I'm making a Maple Braised Butternut Squash with Thyme. My son devours it. I buy the precut squash from the market because peeling and cutting a butternut squash is a chore.

<ul class="ingredientsList first no-header"> <li class="ingredient">6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter</li> <li class="ingredient">1 3- to 31/2-pound butternut squash, cut lengthwise in half, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes</li> <li class="ingredient">1 1/4 cups low-salt chicken broth</li> <li class="ingredient">1/3 cup pure maple syrup</li> <li class="ingredient">1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme</li> <li class="ingredient">1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt</li> <li class="ingredient">1/4 teaspoon (or more) black pepper</li> </ul>
Melt butter in heavy large deep skillet over high heat. Add squash; sauté 1 minute. Add broth, syrup, thyme, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until squash is almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer squash to large bowl. Boil liquid in skillet until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Return squash to skillet. Cook until tender, turning occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with more pepper, if desired.

I'm also doing roasted vegetables.

This sounds really good. I do one with 5-spice but think I will put this on my list of recipes to try.

In addition to an appetizer, I am bringing a veggie dish too (not green bean casserole!). I am thinking about something like this -- butternut squash, apples, pecans, cinnamon, honey.

Respected Contributor

RACALAMB, your recipe caught my attention. There is an old French recipe ( the name escapes me) that I had been reading about for years and I decided to splurge. Splurge is an understatement: it's thin sliced potatoes layered and then you pour heavy cream and butter on, top it with gruyere and bake. It was the biggest disappointment: I was expecting something brown and bubbly. Your recipe sounds wonderful: I do have a question for you. Did you use skim or low fat evaporated milk? Even if whole evaporated milk was used, that would still be a check of a lot fewer calories. I am looking forward to trying this, thanks! Poodlepet
Occasional Contributor

I've been using the following asparagus recipe for about a year. Got it from the Allrecipe site. Simple, easy and delicious!

A bunch thin asparagus spears, trimmed

3 tablespoons olive oil

<label>1 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)</label> <label>1 clove garlic, minced (optional)</label>

<label>1 teaspoon sea salt</label>

<label>1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper</label>

<label>1 tablespoon lemon juice</label>

1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  • Place the asparagus into a mixing bowl, and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat the spears, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Arrange the asparagus onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
  • Bake in the preheated oven until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness. Sprinkle with lemon juice just before serving.
Trusted Contributor

GinaJules, that's exactly how I make asparagus. I must have got the recipe from AllRecipes too. I never add Parmesan cheese though.

Respected Contributor

Okay, you did say vegetable side dish, and NOT "low fat" vegetable side dish. This recipe has broccoli, so that qualifies as the vegetable. And even at the risk of the cream soup, mayo and cheese haters descending, I'm going to share this recipe. I've been making it off and on for the holidays over the last many years. It's been a year or so since I've prepared it, but I do think I tweak it a little with some garlic salt, tabasco. And it does take a bit of time for those packages of broccoli to thaw out enough to handle, so be forewarned.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Awesome-Broccoli-Cheese-Casserole/

Super Contributor

On 11/18/2014 Poodlepet said: RACALAMB, your recipe caught my attention. There is an old French recipe ( the name escapes me) that I had been reading about for years and I decided to splurge. Splurge is an understatement: it's thin sliced potatoes layered and then you pour heavy cream and butter on, top it with gruyere and bake. It was the biggest disappointment: I was expecting something brown and bubbly. Your recipe sounds wonderful: I do have a question for you. Did you use skim or low fat evaporated milk? Even if whole evaporated milk was used, that would still be a check of a lot fewer calories. I am looking forward to trying this, thanks! Poodlepet

I'm pretty sure it's been the Carnation 2%. I'm going to try the fat free next time.I made it up one day because I had the milk (I had bought to make a pie) and I needed to use it. I cook weight watchers friendly a lot by changing things up! I make those potatoes you write about BUT too many points, so invented these. I think garlic is the secret. Enjoy.

Respected Contributor

RACALAMB, I did use garlic looking back- and it was one greasy mess....in fact, I remember making it in the one Le Creuset pan I had: that was too heavy for me and I gave it away.....and now I want to start collecting pieces for my children.....oh well, I still look forward to trying your recipe in the Ninja. I have three serious potato lovers in my family, and I think we would all enjoy! Poodlepet
Super Contributor

I keep things very simple, corn, glazed carrots, green beans, turnips, sliced baked brussel sprouts