Contributor

Looking for a recipe for a vegetable side dish for Thanksgiving

Hi!

I am in need of a vegetable side dish for Thanksgiving! I have done green beans in the crockpot, green bean casserole and a salad in the past. I was hopefully looking for something different that doesn't require a ton of work.

Love these posts, Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

i

Valued Contributor

Re: Looking for a recipe for a vegetable side dish for Thanksgiving

Hi-Ina Garten has a spinach casserole-type dish that I made last year that was really good. Food Network.com and search Ina Garten Spinach.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm making a Maple Braised Butternut Squash with Thyme. My son devours it. I buy the precut squash from the market because peeling and cutting a butternut squash is a chore.

• 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
  • 1 3- to 31/2-pound butternut squash, cut lengthwise in half, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 1/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon (or more) black pepper
Melt butter in heavy large deep skillet over high heat. Add squash; sauté 1 minute. Add broth, syrup, thyme, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook until squash is almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer squash to large bowl. Boil liquid in skillet until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Return squash to skillet. Cook until tender, turning occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with more pepper, if desired.

I'm also doing roasted vegetables.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

I am making Ina Garten's Roasted Winter Vegetables as a side dish.

Roasted Winter Vegetables (originally from the Barefoot Contessa)

1 pound carrots, peeled

1 pound parsnips, peeled

1 large sweet potato, peeled

1 small butternut squash, peeled and seeded (about 2 pounds)

3 tablespoons olive oil

1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Cut the carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, and butternut squash in 1 to 1-1/4-inch cubes. All the vegetables will shrink while baking, so don't cut them too small.

Place all the cut vegetables in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well.

Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender, turning once with a metal spatula.

Sprinkle with parsley, season to taste, and serve hot.

Edited to attempt to fix formatting issues. (Editing didn't work)

Esteemed Contributor

PamelaSue, thanks for the tip to cut and store onions the night before Thanksgiving! I use a lot of onions on a regular day. Thanksgiving will be "onions on steroids!"

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

You're very welcome! I know it's a pain to chop, chop, chop onions, especially lots of onions at one time. But on T-Day, when you're rushing around, you will be glad you did!

Trusted Contributor

I like simple vegetable dishes, like steamed or sauteed green beans with a bit of olive oil, garlic, and lemon. You can also sprinkle with your favorite spices (like Italian blend) or parmesan cheese if you want a little more flavor.

Honored Contributor

I made this for a holiday dinner once and everyone loved it, so I keep making it for my own family, but mostly during the holiday season!

Scalloped Vegetable Casserole
6 c. broccoli florets
6 c. cauliflower florets
2 c. sliced carrots
1/2 c. butter
1 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. sour cream
1- 8 oz. pkg Italian 6 cheese blend, divided
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 c. crushed Ritz crackers
Combine vegetables in a large Dutch oven and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over meduim high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 8 min. or until vegetables are tender. Drain vegetables and return to Dutch oven.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 3 qt. baking dish * with cooking spray.
In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add flour, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and bubbly. Add sour cream, stirring to combine. Add 1 1/2 c. cheese, salt, and pepper. Add whole mixture to vegetables in Dutch oven, stirring gently to coat. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
Top casserole with crushed crackers and remaining 1/2 c. cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
* I used a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. I also used Smart Balance instead of butter and 2% milk. It was still delicious!
(I got this recipe from one of Paula Deen's Christmas magazines.)

Contributor

Thank you very much, love all the suggestions!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

On 11/18/2014 beach-mom said:

I made this for a holiday dinner once and everyone loved it, so I keep making it for my own family, but mostly during the holiday season!

Scalloped Vegetable Casserole
6 c. broccoli florets
6 c. cauliflower florets
2 c. sliced carrots
1/2 c. butter
1 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. sour cream
1- 8 oz. pkg Italian 6 cheese blend, divided
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 c. crushed Ritz crackers
Combine vegetables in a large Dutch oven and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over meduim high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 8 min. or until vegetables are tender. Drain vegetables and return to Dutch oven.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 3 qt. baking dish * with cooking spray.
In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add flour, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and bubbly. Add sour cream, stirring to combine. Add 1 1/2 c. cheese, salt, and pepper. Add whole mixture to vegetables in Dutch oven, stirring gently to coat. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
Top casserole with crushed crackers and remaining 1/2 c. cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
* I used a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. I also used Smart Balance instead of butter and 2% milk. It was still delicious!
(I got this recipe from one of Paula Deen's Christmas magazines.)

This sounds really good and pretty easy. My mother asked me to bring a veggie. I am going to try it at home first in case I mess up. Thanks for sharing.