Trusted Contributor

Red/pink mold is toxic and has threads that extend farther out than you can see.  Throw it out.   It is not the Lock n Lock.

Valued Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@brandiwine wrote:

I found lock and lock to be garbage.  Breaks so easily and stains terribly.

Oh I completely beg to differ! I have had L&L containers for about 10 years now. I threw out all of my other plastic containers and only will use these. I've never had any problem with any of them breaking. Yes, 10 years of use with my HUGE set and never has one cracked. Staining? Never. I just don't know what to say to people that make these complaints. I am not careful with mine. I throw them in my dishwasher, freeze them, accidentally drop them, all with no problems. And to address the OP, I'm afraid its what another poster said about your cheese. Its seen its better days, toss. 

ID2, I totally agree with you. I threw all my old plastic container's away when I got my first set of L&L. I have had no issue's with them all. The L&L web-set just had a 70% off sale and I went a little nut's, and bought 10 more set's.

Brandiwine,When I use my L&L for leftover's or to freeze in, if I make a lot of Chlli or red  sauce's, I alway's wait until the food has cooled, and have never had a problem with staining. That was a big concern when I purchased them. I was really pleased to find out that they don't stain.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for your warm welcome! It is so kind of you.

This board is filled with nice wonderful people. Thanks to them, I have discovered that in fact it is not the lock n lock, but the cheese itself. Apparently the pinkish cast floating on top of the cheese is a harmful mold I never knew existed. So I not only felt welcomed within the community, I have learned something new. A delightful experience overall.

Thanks again!

Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Apple Crisp. You are 100 percent correct. I never knew about this "pinkish" mold, so today I am grateful for the info and for having learned something new!

Occasional Contributor

Hi Shaggygirl!

Apple Crisp is correct, that pinkish stuff is a type of mold. I too, thought it was some dripping of spoon dipping of marinara sauce, but my google research indicates that pink and orange mold on fresh cheeses is not a good thing.

I scraped some off the first time and ate the cheese in my ignorance. It smelled and tasted OK.

I did not get sick, and I am hoping the same for you. In addition, you cooked it, so maybe the mold was killed. Think positive thoughts.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you Kjae! You are 100 percent correct and I did throw it out, thankfully. Thank you for your response and allowing me to learn something new.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lock and Lock problem

[ Edited ]

Well it's now Tuesday morning and I'm still alive. My stomach feels a little unsettled but I'm not sure if I'm just putting that in my mind now that I know what I didn't know before!

I just went and pulled the container out of the trash and the date on the bottom says Sept 3rd, that must be the sell by date. I opened it originally about a week ago, surprised if something that toxic could grow in the time but who knows. I'm getting OCD about it now, going to go through my grocery receipts from the past couple of weeks to see when I actually bought which will give me a more clear idea of when I really did open and use it originally. I keep my receipts, which list all purchases till I balance my checkbook each month. One of my sons was home for dinner and slept here last night, heard him get up and go to work so he survived too!

Respected Contributor

FWIW, multiple online sources say ricotta is good for only 1-2 weeks after the container is opened.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Well it's now Tuesday morning and I'm still alive. My stomach feels a little unsettled but I'm not sure if I'm just putting that in my mind now that I know what I didn't know before!

I just went and pulled the container out of the trash and the date on the bottom says Sept 3rd, that must be the sell by date. I opened it originally about a week ago, surprised if something that toxic could grow in the time but who knows. I'm getting OCD about it now, going to go through my grocery receipts from the past couple of weeks to see when I actually bought which will give me a more clear idea of when I really did open and use it originally. I keep my receipts, which list all purchases till I balance my checkbook each month. One of my sons was home for dinner and slept here last night, heard him get up and go to work so he survived too!

@shaggygirl, I totally understand that kind of panic. What I do is to think what the worst scenario would be. In this case, you would become ill (not just in your mind), you would go the doctor, and you would end up just fine.

Try to relax and realize that as time goes by, the less chance you were harmed at all.

HTH

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

My problem with lock n lock is that the lid flaps break off, primarily when they drop onto the floor.  I am constantly dropping things out of the refrigerator and every time a locknlock falls it cracks a flap on the lid and it falls off.  this happens mostly with my new ones, the old ones sold originally are still around with their lids.  I would guess that quality is not as good, but I do like the new large sizes especially with handles so I keep buying new ones (which gets expensive)