Respected Contributor

Re: Le Creuset Questions

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt

My Staub is a dark green 6-quart oval.   It is my largest piece of cast iron, and I don't want to go any bigger because of the weight.  I can lift a large full pot  well enough to get it in and out of the oven, but bigger than 6 quarts and I will begin to not trust myself with it full of food.

I can't say the chipping has gotten any worse, despite how often it has been used.

Just  received a set of very interesting lightweight cast aluminum  cookware yesterday ordered at a ridiculously low price from Evine right before it sold out. Other individual pieces and a big set are for sale at very reasonable prices---they're called Cook's Companion Perfect Weight Cast Aluminum Non-stick, if anyone wants to look it up.

I mostly wanted this set for the 8-quart oval pot that is included.  These pots are very thick but lightweight, are induction-ready, and free of those P-gasses that no one wants from nonstick cookware. 

Haven't cooked with it  yet but after washing it, heating some water in it,  and admiring the nice color (silver, but it's really a nice shade of gray), I think I'm going to really like it for some jobs.  People who object to heavy pots and pans might want to try a piece or two.

Honored Contributor

Ohgood!  I'm glad the QVC Staub piece has held up well.   Every now and then I think about the lady who bought mine, hoping she is having a good experience.  She was so thrilled.  But I DID absolutely make every single detail about it clear.    I photographed the tiny chip and just generally described it well.

It was my one and only Craig's List sale.    As a female chicken (hehe) I have always been a little afraid of the whole Craig's List thing but it went well.  We met in the parking lot of a very small strip mall.  We were both glad to see that the other one wasn't there to kill or rob.  hehe - Hey, ya never know.  I even printed up, for her, some care and use instructions.  I know - I think too much but I like being thorough and helping where I can.  Smiley Happy

I hope your CC pots perform well!  I've seen some of them presented there.  I like that color, too.   But then my favorite colors are black, red, charcoal grey, and purple.  Kinda boring, but those colors are pleasing to my eyes so who cares, right?

Somebody else who is a regular here has purchased, and used, their enameled cast iron pots and, IIRC, has been very pleased.  I only cannot remember who because my memory has become quite dreadful.

Valued Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

One of the most obvious quality differences between Le Creuset and the less-expensive brands is readily seen by comparing the rims of pots.

The LC rim is narrow, very finished-looking,  and unique to LC.  Cheaper pots begin to rust and chip in their rim areas because they have an uncoated, very "unfinished" wide black  strip of exposed cast iron.

I have two non-LC pots (one Rachael Ray that has rust spots on the rim but no chips and no problems so far with the enamel), and one unusual Staub   that seemed to have been sold only  by QVC and had chips and a very sloppy finish near the rim from the very beginning. 

I still use both pots, but am not impressed with how they have held up, in contrast to those I have from LC.  Do they cook as well as LC?---probably.  But who needs rust and chips for dinner?

I have a "cheaper pot" and have had NONE of these issues. No chipping, rust, or discoloration.

Respected Contributor

I also bought that round Staub pot that QVC sold & the knob on top of it was so poorly finished I was afraid I'd get metal splinters from touching it. The knob looked like it had been thrown out onto the freeway & run over by many cars.  It was just awful. I ordered a SS LC knob from Amazon & replaced the awful Staub knob & it's fine now.

Contributor

After my wedding in July 1983, i was lucky enough to find a set of Le Creuset on sale for a price that combined with a gift certificate received as a wedding present I could afford. I have never owned another set of cookware in all theese years. The set is Coastal Blue and consists of a 22cm round french oven a 23cm skillet, a  22cm 2in1 pan and a 18cm 2in1 pan. The only other metal pieces i own are a tea kettle a stock pot and a set of 2 non stick saute pans - these i have replaced several times -the saute pans in particular I seem to replace every 3 years or so. Most of my friends and family have had multiple sets of very expensive cookware in that time so my Le Creuset was a bargain. The prices on QVC are great and although my Coastal Blue set is still in great shape i have purchased three additional pieces in Flame - my favorite color of Le Creuset and in slightly larger sizes. I have owned the 5-1/4 qt tall round dutch oven for over a year now and expected to really only use it during the holidays or for deep frying - at which it excells - but I use it more often then i expected and am looking forward to receiving the tsv and the large 2in1 pan..

Valued Contributor

I am also looking forward to getting the TSV. You should love the 2 in 1 pan/skillet if you deep fry in LC...it is a great size for that. 

I have a nice mix of enamel cast iron ranging from a Staub 1.9 qt terrine to my largest - a 6 1/2 qt LC Oval. I will not go larger due to the weight. The smaller ones get used constantly and the ovals are my favorites. I use hard anodized aluminum when not using cast iron was pleased to find that Calphalon retains heat very well.

I have wanted to mention somewhere that you can find all sorts of expensive cookware (eventually) at Goodwill. I found the LC oval skillet sold here at QVC there a few weeks ago for $10. It looked like it had been in a fire and they just didn't want to take the time to clean it. It cleaned up nicely.

Esteemed Contributor

Okay, I purchased the 'bean pot' dutch oven.  Not the TSV.  It was an easy pay and I have wanted a cast iron sutch oven that has enamel.  I will make chili beans this winter season- thoug our winter are considered mild.  I will post on how the cooking goes. 

I won't buy and entire cook ware set as I have my wonderful stainless steel that delivers. 

This purchase was a one shot deal.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

I broke down and purchased the TSV also.  It arrived and surprisingly, it was smaller than I anticipated.  It will work out for some dishes I prepare. 

Went to Sur La Table (sp) and saw the many sizes and shapes of this line in the store.  Not all the colors that the Q offered.  The prices were just slightly higher.  No easy pay at all. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

I have purchased most of my LC at Sur la Table on clearance or when they have sales. AT the one closest to where I live if  you keep checking their clearance items they do frequently have popular colors which seem to be carried as seasonal (like Soliel) and then will have a general extra 20% off every month or so.