Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, which is best investment?

@Poppet1 wrote:

I was thinking of item #K43826 - 4.5 qt 300 W Tilthead Mixer with 3 qt Bowl.  Does anyone have this?  Is this a good or is item # K41789 4.5 qt 300 Tilthead Standing Mixer with Flex Edge the better buy?  Or is there another KitchAid Standing Mixer that is better?  Thank you.

The 3 qt bowl is really only for very small amounts. I bought it, but it's pretty limited. I've had food splatter out of it, I do not recommend using the flex edge beater with it. That was my mistake. It's fine for a small amount of whipped cream or a little icing though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I have the tilt head style and prefer it.  This is my second one but I "donated" the prvevios one to my daughter in law.  I have both the stainless steel bowls and the glass bowl. I reallly think it's a matter of personal preference but it also depends on what you are mixing. Do you use it for more baking than mashing potatioes, etc. I prefer the steel because we are mashed potato fans.  I also bake so the glass bowl comes in handy for items like frostings, whipped cream and cake batters. If you can only pick one set then I would choose the steel bowl. I think it's safer in the kitchen and dishwasher.

Respected Contributor

im with you on that. i love the look of the glass but i know i would probably drop it. then glass every where and have no bowl. i have dropped my metal bowl many times.

Valued Contributor

I've owned the large 6 qt. lift-bowl kitchen aide mixer for a few years.  I have no problem with it fitting underneath my cabinets..it's about 17inch. high..where my cabinets have 18inch clearance.  I leave it out on the counter . I like it because it has a nice large capacity.  I do not have to move it out from under the cabinets to add ingredients.  I just put my ingredients into a large measuring cup(batter bowl) with a spout and dump them in slowly while the mixer is on low (no.2)., then increase the speed a little to completely mix... no problems. 

I have the stainless bowl and flex beater.  I don't feel a glass bowl is any better than stainless, plus it would be much heavier to lift when full. 

I purchased the larger unit because I do bread and large batches of cookies, etc.  I am not sorry I spent a little more for the bigger mixer and have been very pleased with it.  I bought it years ago when they had them on special and have the black caviar color. 

Good luck in whatever you choose..have a great day!

Honored Contributor

I have the most basic KA stand mixer that I've had for at least 25 yers.Got it at Tar*get for $169.  I don't use it alot but it does what I want it to. I think you need to figure out how much you would use, for what you will need it for and how much $ you can spend on one. For me, basic is perfect. Don't need a glass bowl, and I have a few attachments for it  that work just fine.  No bells or whistles at all. I saved those things for my new Vitamix I bought In Feb.

Super Contributor

Does anyone know if Kitchen Aid will have a full show on before year end?  Thanks.

Super Contributor

I can't afford a KA these days, but that's ok.  Maybe someday, maybe not.  I recently found a great old Sunbeam Mixmaster Heritage Series mixer (model 2350, white) at the thrift store for a whopping $5.  It looks very retro, and is heavy (no prob for me).  It came with two standard beaters and two dough hooks.  I need to spin the bowl sometimes, and scrape down the sides on occasion.  But none of that bothers me in the least, as that's what I was used to growing up -- Mom doing the same thing with her mixers, and using hers myself.  My "new" Sunbeam works fine, and I'm happy.  When I could afford it a long time ago, I got Mom a basic KA of her own from a big box store.  She loves it.  :-)  Good luck in choosing your KA!  Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@Poppet1 wrote:

Does anyone know if Kitchen Aid will have a full show on before year end?  Thanks.

The 23rd is all day cooking on Q I believe it is. 

I already told hubbo big screen is mine that day he can go to one of the other TV's and watch his junk. LOL

Respected Contributor

beginning of november there is a kitchen aid special valu item. not sure what item it will be. were hopping it will be the bowl lift mixer. we got the ka 14 cup food processer with the dicing kit. it retailed for 395.00 . it was a special valu item and we got it for 199.00. and we love it.

Respected Contributor

First, they are NOT investments.  They are appliances, for better or worse.  

Second, why not go to their website and look at all the stand mixers they have to offer.  You'll get a better picture of what each mixer has to offer.  

Third, unless their website is deficient, only ONE  stand mixer (their most expensive one) is specifically described as being assembled at their plant in Ohio.  Therefore, I have to assume that the others are assembled off-shore.  Personally, I would not pay a K/A price for a mixer that isn't assembled in the US.