Respected Contributor

ISO: Chinese Restaurant Tea Maybe you work at a Chinese Restaurant and can help me.

I want to know what brand of tea they use at Chinese restaurants?? Thanks for your help!!!

I've seen boxes of Dynasty Chinese Restaurant Tea that is a blend of oolong, jasmine and green tea. Has anybody tried this tea?? Is is good??

Respected Contributor

Re: ISO: Chinese Restaurant Tea Maybe you work at a Chinese Restaurant and can help me.

Why not call your favorite Chinese restaurant, better yet, go there for a meal and ask. This is a very subjective question. Everyone's taste is different and depending on the Chinese restaurant, they may purchase a very inexpensive tea or if it's more high end, then a better grade of tea.

Fast food Chinese restaurants use the cheapest tea they can find. It could be black or green.

P.S. I never use boxed tea, only tea leaves. Much fresher and tastier. Go to a tea store that carries lots of different types of tea. Experiment with it yourself.

Respected Contributor

Re: ISO: Chinese Restaurant Tea Maybe you work at a Chinese Restaurant and can help me.

You know, it's funny you brought this up.... One thing I really miss about Chinese restaurants in NYC is the hot tea they served with every meal - they just don't do it here nor, for that matter, did they serve it at the Chinese restaurants in Hawaii and I recently found myself craving it. I did some investigating and finally found an on-line source for the tea sold to Chinese restaurants: WebstaurantStore.com. I ordered the tea from them, and it's pretty much as I remembered it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} The brand name is Kari Out Oolong Tea Bags, and I paid only $10.99 for a box of 600 tea bags!

Trusted Contributor

Generic, and one bag for the pot. Skin flints.
Respected Contributor

UPDATE: I got Chinese takeout tonight and I asked the waitress about the tea. She showed me a box of tea they use. They use to use Luzianne, then switched to Rituals Tea. She said it came in filter pack for the tea maker.So now I know!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 5/1/2014 Barbarainnc said:

UPDATE: I got Chinese takeout tonight and I asked the waitress about the tea. She showed me a box of tea they use. They use to use Luzianne, then switched to Rituals Tea. She said it came in filter pack for the tea maker.So now I know!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Glad to hear that you got your tea mystery sorted out, although I do find it amusing that a Chinese restaurant would serve Luzianne as their tea. I don't have any really great Chinese places around me now, but one of my favorites back in Denver used to serve this really delicious green tea. It is called "Ji Jin Chrysanthemum Green Tea" and of course they sold it at their restaurant, but I found it in a couple Asian markets as well.

Honored Contributor

I used to always buy the jasmine green tea at my local Chinese restaurant and then I found Mighty Leaf Organic Spring Jasmine Green Tea and it's exactly the same.

You're going to want a jasmine green tea, basically.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

When in ANY Oriental restaurant ANYWHERE, you have to ASK for the tea THEY drink, not the tea they serve to customers. They will bring a pot to you. That even works in our cheapo Chinese buffet. Same goes for the rice. Ask, and they will bring you Oriental 'sticky' rice, instead of the 'fluffy' stuff they serve to American customers.

FHG - that worked for us in HI, too.