Esteemed Contributor

Re: I've had a pot roast in the Crock Pot all day and my animals..

Yes, our doggies get roast beef and whatever other meat we may have. They go crazy when I'm cooking a pot roast as well. They also love veggies which are good for them. Especially baby carrots. Their main diet is Natural Balance dog food, though.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I have two cats. One will eat nothing but Meow Mix cat food. The other will eat Meow Mix cat food and everything else in sight.

When I am cooking or eating, he will stare me down until I take pity on him and "accidentally" drop a morsel or two for him. He is definitely the clean up man if you drop anything, LOL.

Super Contributor

I was taught that it is much better for the pets to eat only pet food so I rarely gave my dogs and cats people food unless it was a special occasion like having company for dinner or a holiday and then of course they'd get the cooked turkey giblets along with some broth and turkey meat or bites of chicken or steak occasionally.

Schotzie, my daschund, was just crazy for artichokes and loved other vegetables too. She would sit up on her hind legs begging and whining and crying every time I had artichokes and I'd remove a leaf and hold the tip in my fingers so she wouldn't hurt her mouth and then she'd chew the edible part and I'd pull on it almost like a person would eat it.

I knew chocolate was poisonous to dogs and never gave them anything but Milk Bones and sometimes a little vanilla ice cream which they loved. I was careful never to give them grapes either as they are also poisonous to dogs.

Honored Contributor

Our dog would lose his mind if we didn't "share", so I'm good about giving him his crunchies with some broth or juice from cooking, with a sliver or two of people food mixed in. Today I steamed some sausages and he got "sausage water" mixed in his crunchies.

Sometimes you just have to compromise ...... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

my dogs will get some now and again, it depends on what we're eating. They'll sometimes get a couple pieces of lightly, or non, seasoned meat, no gravies or sauces. I think veggies are a nice treat, plain steamed peas are a big favorite, along with raw carrots. My mother's dog goes crazy for bok choy.

The chihuahua adores asparagus I've seen him growl at the other dog when she came near his plate and then run off with his piece of asparagus leaving the chunk of steak tip behind, which she was glad to take off his hands

Respected Contributor

Another vote for pig. Any way, shape or form. They love it. My girl kitty's favourite treat is Cotton Candy. Kind of funny in that she bows to my boy cat in all things edible except that. It's the only thing she'll clean his clock over.

Respected Contributor

On 6/18/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:
On 6/18/2014 brewhaha said:

Our dog is so spoiled on people food, he won't eat his doggy food.

Mine aren't happy with dog food either...but it sits there until they get hungry enough! They love the cats' food, though...and the cats don't mind the dog food. (sigh)

Am I the only one who says things like, "Oh, that dog food isn't good enough for you? Well, let me tell you something, ladies - there are probably a billion HUMANS in this world right now who would be thrilled to have that dog food you're turning your nose up at!" {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

And your dogs are probably thinking, "then give them the dog food and give us your food. Then everybody will be happy, especially us!"

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

We cannot eat without our rescue "Goldie" begging for a little morsel. Yes, we give him cat food, but he loves just about anything that is offered to him.

Honored Contributor

On 6/18/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Our dog would lose his mind if we didn't "share", so I'm good about giving him his crunchies with some broth or juice from cooking, with a sliver or two of people food mixed in. Today I steamed some sausages and he got "sausage water" mixed in his crunchies.

Sometimes you just have to compromise ...... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

That's what I wound up doing tonight. After smelling that pot roast for 10 hours, I felt bad not to share in some way. I had some leftover basmati rice, plain, and I put just a little of the pot roast juice on it. I know she would have been happier with a slice of roast, but we'd pay the price tomorrow, big time!

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

When I was growing up, my mom made a pot roast every Saturday for dinner. We didn't have air conditioning, so our kitchen door was always open (we had a screen storm door.) My next door neighbors' dog, Homer, would take an afternoon nap on our back porch until the roast was done. We would always take out a sample of the beef for him to try.