Honored Contributor

Re: How far do you go to cater to the dietary preferences of your guests?

@Mothertrucker wrote:

When I am specifically cooking for others that I have invited over, I like to make what THEY like, and will eat..  To me, that is what a good host does...

With the birth of my now 9 year old great niece, however, We have had to be extra vigilant..She is deathly allergic to peanuts, to the point that they cannot even be in the house, and itbis a life or death matter, not simply a preference.. Though I do not often cook for her, my brother, her grandfather, has had to make a lot of changes....

I totally understand this, my granddaughter developed that peanut allergy and was going to be spending a few days at my house, for the first time since the allergy reared it's ugly head, just before Christmas this past year. Believe me, everyone's preferences were on the back burner. I did try to plan a variety of foods, but let everyone know, for the most part, my attention was going to be on my granddaughters needs, not theirs and they were free to basically fend for themselves, lol. Of course, everyone understood perfectly and everything went off without a hitch.

So, @house_cat, how did your meal for family turn out? I'm sure you did a fine job and everyone was happy.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I don't enjoy cooking so I never, ever invite people over to eat. We can eat out someplace where we can all get what we want. 

Back when I still invited people over to eat because it was "the right" thing to do I attempted to be aware of likes/dislikes/allergies & avoid strange foods. Most people were happy but some are impossible to please.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Everyone says, "Don't worry about me", but if I'm going to go through the trouble of cooking, I'd like the food to get eaten.

Here's my situation for tomorrow:

Hubby: Doesn't like pasta, will tolerate it, but doesn't like it. Will not eat                     meat other than chicken, lean pork and occasionally ground beef.

Mom:   91 years old, lost 40 lbs this year, weighs 80 pounds soaking wet.

All she wants to eat is cake, ice cream and familiar Italian food.

Son:    32 years old but still lives primarily on pasta, pizza and Amy's

organic burritos, doesn't like creamy dishes or white sauces.

Niece: Vegetarian, but will eat cheese.

Nieces boyfriend: Will eat anything that stands still long enough for him to

stick a fork in it. (love him!)

I decided to cook stuffed shells tomorrow, with a spinach salad and garlic rolls.  I think it's a menu everyone can eat, but it does irriate me that I have so many opinions to consider.  Again, in their defense, no one asks me to cater to them, but really?  How can I serve things I know they won't eat?

How far do you go to accommodate the preferences of your guests?

Guests?  I go all out.  These people above aren't guests they are family.  For that I'd have these rules:

Hubby, Throw some meat in front of him.  Doesn't sound hard.

Mom.  Older people often most lose their ability to taste mush of  anything but sweets.  Put other healthy choices in front of her, but let her eat what she wants.  She's earned it.

Son.  He gets three choices:  Eat what you cook, or cook and grocery shop for himself, or go out to eat.  Period.

Niece.  Make a veggie or two with every meal, shread some cheese and let her be happy.

Boyfriend. Make him help you clean up.  Offer to teach him to cook.  AND clean up.

Respected Contributor

Well, you're cooking for family. So if your husband doesn't like pasta and your son doesn't like creamy sauces (and if they both eat regularly with you) I'd be grilling chicken and , cooking rice or potatoes , making the occasional stewed pork or chicken with tomato or arroz con pollo type thing. Nothing wrong with it and can be healthy. 

Add some salad and/or a steamed veg. If niece or any veggie person is visiting, add in some quinoa so they can eat the quinoa and veg. We always used to accommodate our niece and nephew, who are vegans. (Interestingly, she had a series of miscarriages until she went off that and ate eggs and cheese. Had a kid. Went back to vegan, miscarried a bunch of times, went off, second child born. Coincidence?) But we'd feed her vegan stuff, no complaints and she was amazed as his parents would continually chivvy them about it. 

My husband didn't like curry. He'd eat it now and then, and he survived a trip to India with me, but he didn't want it but once a month. I could live on curry...so I made roasts and plain stuff as he preferred plain American cooking. He didn't eat wheat, so we used rice pasta. I don't eat a ton of pasta (it just packs on the weight.) So we'd mostly eat rice with meals, or occasionally potatoes.

Honored Contributor

I don't eat fish and so many times I have been invited somewhere for dinner and when we get there I can smell the fish. Usually I just eat the starch and veggies, but now a days they are often cooked in with the fish. I absolutely refuse to gag down something I find disgusting .And when invited somewhere I always mention that I don't eat fish and ask if that is going to be a problem.

I do try to accommodate people's eating preferences because I have had these bad experiences.I have had hosts make me a sandwich and others who just ignore me and let me sit there foodless until dessert.Needless to say - if I tell you I can't eat fish and you serve me fish anyway - I won't be back.

Respected Contributor

Fish is a common allergy. I have to tell you, I like seafood but I hate the smell of a lot of it. Weird? Maybe. I was in a store yesterday, picking up bread, and they were cooking some fish in the back (maybe crab cakes? Something for take out.) I had to get out of there. The cooked fish smell plus the awful perfumes people put on when they go out and it was nauseating. (I have a super strong sense of smell. Ears bad, eyes bad but I can compete with the dogs for sense of smell!)

If you hate fish, it's not unusual. In fact, I think fish-aversion is one of the most common food dislikes. If you were coming over and I knew you didn't like fish, I wouldn't even have it in the house. I get that. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't cater to peoples preferences but I do cater to allergies.  I have a son-in-law who is allergic to mushrooms so it he is coming to dinner I cook without them.  My daughter does not like seafood but everyone else does so I cook seafood and make an extra vegetable for her.  

If I invite people over to my house, I feel as if I should cater to their preferences and allergies.  Most people will eat either chicken or seafood.  If they don't, I'd prepare a filet or burger.  

If I'm hosting, imo...I should cook what the guests like.  I know some don't feel the way I do, but that's what I feel comfortable with.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Contributor

If there is a real allergy issue yes If not I try but don't worry too much Try something new My sister once was shocked that her children ate chicken wings I made in my Ronco set and forget it So sometimes it's just the way something is cooked 

Super Contributor

I usally go as far as I can. I love having guests and I do try so hard to accomodate everyone.

Honored Contributor

The only one I keep in mind when we have a big party is my daughters best friend.  She is allergic to shellfish, carries an Epi Pen so I won't order anything with that in it from the caterer.

I don't even want to chance keeping it on a different table away from everything else because I'm afraid someone will use that spoon for something else.