Honored Contributor

How far do you go to cater to the dietary preferences of your guests?

[ Edited ]

Everyone says, "Don't worry about me", but if I'm going to go through the trouble of cooking, I'd like the food to get eaten.

Here's my situation for tomorrow:

Hubby: Doesn't like pasta, will tolerate it, but doesn't like it. Will not eat                     meat other than chicken, lean pork and occasionally ground beef.

Mom:   91 years old, lost 40 lbs this year, weighs 80 pounds soaking wet.

All she wants to eat is cake, ice cream and familiar Italian food.

Son:    32 years old but still lives primarily on pasta, pizza and Amy's

organic burritos, doesn't like creamy dishes or white sauces.

Niece: Vegetarian, but will eat cheese.

Nieces boyfriend: Will eat anything that stands still long enough for him to

stick a fork in it. (love him!)

I decided to cook stuffed shells tomorrow, with a spinach salad and garlic rolls.  I think it's a menu everyone can eat, but it does irriate me that I have so many opinions to consider.  Again, in their defense, no one asks me to cater to them, but really?  How can I serve things I know they won't eat?

How far do you go to accommodate the preferences of your guests?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: How far do you go to cater to the dietary preferences of your guests?

I don't. I also don't expect a host to cater to MY dietary needs. I have no issue with bringing my own food if necessary. I will call ahead and ask what the host is serving and then base it on that.

Pot lucks are great because I bring something I know I can eat without issues. It's no different with kids coming over for a party or a sleep over: you find out what will be served and then bring a close match that the child can eat.

#1 motto in my Life: Don't demand what you won't deliver.

Honored Contributor

That situation sounds normal to me.  Generally, there are at least two foods that will satisfy the "icky" eaters in a family.  In my family, it's my homemade lasagna. But it's expensive and a lot of work so if I'm having ghe gang over, I make a big pan of roasted vegetables.  I make a pan of mac & cheese.  I roast a chicken.  I serve some type of artisnal bread.  So there's something for everyone and if someone can't find something in the mix to eat, I tell them to go into kitchen and fix something for themselves.  That's never happened.  I actually don't worry about people not eating the food I fixed,  I'm more concerned with having something for everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

I expect no special dietary preference and if I cook, I dont cater to anyone elses. I guess as we were so poor growing up (can remember having 1 can tomato soup last 3 days watered down) I am thankful for whatever is in front of me. Sounds like a good meal plan.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Everyone says, "Don't worry about me", but if I'm going to go through the trouble of cooking, I'd like the food to get eaten.

Here's my situation for tomorrow:

Hubby: Doesn't like pasta, will tolerate it, but doesn't like it. Will not eat                     meat other than chicken, lean pork and occasionally ground beef.

Mom:   91 years old, lost 40 lbs this year, weighs 80 pounds soaking wet.

All she wants to eat is cake, ice cream and familiar Italian food.

Son:    32 years old but still lives primarily on pasta, pizza and Amy's

organic burritos, doesn't like creamy dishes or white sauces.

Niece: Vegetarian, but will eat cheese.

Nieces boyfriend: Will eat anything that stands still long enough for him to

stick a fork in it. (love him!)

I decided to cook stuffed shells tomorrow, with a spinach salad and garlic rolls.  I think it's a menu everyone can eat, but it does irriate me that I have so many opinions to consider.  Again, in their defense, no one asks me to cater to them, but really?  How can I serve things I know they won't eat?

How far do you go to accommodate the preferences of your guests?

@house_cat I haven't been exposed to this type of situation as whatever my mom was making people would have crawled through broken glass to get to and I cook for myself and I don't complain much.

I agree with folks that said if anyone has a problem/preference then bring your own food.  Please cook for your immediate family, the other's can shift for themselves and quite possibly would be happy to do so.

You have enough pressure on you lately so please choose the easier path on this.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I have always cooked mainly for the one with medical restrictions.

I agree that I would lean toward my own family.  You have been through it, sweetheart.  If I were near by, I'd come and help you cook!

Also, your niece is old enough to offer to bring a dish if her diet is so restrictive. 

Respected Contributor

Since my out of town guests bring me a menu I guess I go way out.   I cater more to guests than I do my husband, I feed him every day.

With exception of your son, I wouldn't think it would be hard to do a meal.   My son is medium picky.   If I make it chicken/turkey and no salt, he'll eat most things.   We eat turkey tacos, spaghetti, and what ever I decide to cook.   Of course I only see him once a year so it's much different than when he lived at home.  

I'd do grilled/baked chicken, some kind of pasta with mushrooms (probably check the limits on the veghead girl) garlic/butter sauce, or a light tomato based.

Give Mom whatever she wants, she's 90!   

Boyfriend, well~make a lot. 

I like almost everything and will eat something I don't care for if that's what my host is serving.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I definitely do for guests, like vegetarians. I have never, NEVER, catered to the kids as picky eaters. I always cooked well balanced meals and of course I did do special things for them here and there. I don't believe in encouraging kids to not eat this or that, but you really have to start from the time they are young. All of my kids eat just about everything now and very healthy. At the holidays I try to include everyone's favorites. 

There are some southern things my husband doesn't like, but he made an effort to try and like them. He just doesn't. So he just doesn't eat that. 

Respected Contributor

As the person WITH the food allergies - I never expect people to go out of there way to cater to me.  I have no problem (and usually do) bring my own food.

I HATE that my diet is so limited and I do not wish it on anyone else.

If it is just a snacks/appetizer party I eat before I arrive and usually manage to find a few things to 'pick on' as I enjoy the company.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind catering to what others need.

My daughter is allergic to onions, it happened overnight about five years ago.  I miss them but sometimes I can add them to what I eat when we're together

If my mom was 81 and didn't eat much, I'd give her whatever she wanted.  I'd cook for her the night before or whenever to make sure she ate.

If it's a large party and someone had an allergy, I think the thing to do is label things someone might not be able to eat.