Honored Contributor

How do you tell when a melon is ripe

I've never gotten it right.  Always cut them too soon.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you tell when a melon is ripe

I always smell the 'navel' (where it was attached to the vine) and it should smell nice and sweet. Also there should be no green on the navel or melon.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I always smell the 'navel' (where it was attached to the vine) and it should smell nice and sweet. Also there should be no green on the navel or melon.

@KingstonsMom

Thanks IG!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I agree with @KingstonsMom

A ripe melon will smell sweet, just like it would if you just cut into it.

Many fruits are not ripe when you purchase.   

Many times I will not use a melon or peaches or such until a day or 2 after purchase.

@LilacTree wrote:

I've never gotten it right.  Always cut them too soon.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

You're welcome!

I wanted to add that with watermelon, you thump it with your finger or knock on it and it should have a hollow sound if it's nice and ripe.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Never buy a watermelon unless the white spot on the bottom is nice and yellow.  If it is greenish white, the melon is green.

Try to find one with a greener stem.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Never buy a watermelon unless the white spot on the bottom is nice and yellow.  If it is greenish white, the melon is green.

Try to find one with a greener stem.

I do that too and I'll add that I always buy a really heavy watermelon for its size.  If they are heavy, they are juicy.

i always smell melons and pineapples to know when they are sweet and ripe.

Honored Contributor

Depends on what kind of melon.  I can thump a watermelon and pick a ripe one.  Cantaloupe smell pungent when ripe.  Honeydew will be soft on non-stop end.  I like them over-ripe as they're sweeter.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

CANTELOUPE SHOULD smell like CANTELOUPE.  Honeydew should feel furry when you run your fingers over it.  Watermelon stem end should be dark, not green and the bottom where it rested on the ground should be almost white.  They do not ripen after picking

Honored Contributor

usually by smell and not such a green color and a tad soft to the touch