Valued Contributor

Re: Holy smokes! 4lbs of bacon for how much????

The prices have really gotten out of hand....and I think adding in the shipping has something to do with it. Perhaps they think we'll feel it's a bargain because shipping is ""Free"".

Super Contributor

Many of QVC's food & Plant items have gone up in price

since they have ""S/H included""

:

I have a file on the plants and some of them have increased

by $20.00 or more... The same for the food items..

;

So when I hear them say ""Oh! The shipping and handling is

included""....I say ""Yes and so is the increased price""...

Super Contributor

RIDICULOUS price. Bacon - fatty and loaded with sodium and chemicals. Disgusting.

Respected Contributor

I buy bacon from a smokehouse up north and it's around $5.50 per pound. It's much more expensive in their catalog where they cater to corporate clients, so I just go there in person. I found out recently that their bacon was rated in the top 10 in the entire country, so I'm confident that I'm getting a top notch product.

I can't imagine spending over $16.00 per pound. Ridiculous. I wish that QVC would make a concerted effort to lower the food prices to more realistic levels. After all, we're paying hefty s/h, even when they say 'free shipping' because we all know it's already been factored into the price.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

I am trying to understand the obsession with bacon.

Everything is ""bacon-y"" theses days.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 RedHeadedWench said:

Everything is "bacon-y" theses days.

I agree. I love bacon with my eggs and occasionally on a burger, but I don't care about having bacon in my chocolate chip cookies or cupcakes. {#emotions_dlg.blink} It's the current culinary trend and eventually the obsession will be replaced by something else.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

There are all kinds of prices - and yes, people do pay them. In the area where I spend my winters, there is a large population of wealthy people who must entertain a great deal because you can spend pretty much anything you want.

I remember a neighbor who was cook/housekeeper/organizer in charge of a huge residential yacht. She said once that $1000 was not an unusual bill for a week to 10 days at one of the gourmet markets near me. I haven't gone in for several years, but even then there were fishes and meats for $60/pound. That's just not in my wildest dreams - any more than $100 bottles of wine nor $50 cigars would be.

I wouldn't buy that bacon not so much because of the price, but because I can't imagine what I'd do with it. Half a pound seems to last in this house for many months - so I could afford what I'd want - 4 pounds would be wasteful for sure.

Super Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Topaz Gem said:

I agree. I love bacon with my eggs and occasionally on a burger, but I don't care about having bacon in my chocolate chip cookies or cupcakes. {#emotions_dlg.blink} It's the current culinary trend and eventually the obsession will be replaced by something else.

I've made bacon chocolate chip cookies, and they were awesome! The savoriness of bacon plays so beautifully with many things, but especially chocolate!

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 redngold said:
On 3/24/2015 Topaz Gem said:

I've made bacon chocolate chip cookies, and they were awesome! The savoriness of bacon plays so beautifully with many things, but especially chocolate!

Maybe it's just something you have to try to understand, LOL. Glad you liked them! Smile

Valued Contributor

QVC's food, in general, is ridiculously expensive. I had no interest in buying any, but once priced some chicken and it was something like $16/lb! And Kansas City steaks/hamburgers are sky high! I can see doing a dessert every now and then for a special occasion, but not the entrées or side dishes!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call