Honored Contributor

Re: Green Beans in Your Grocery Store

Loose for 99 cents/pound.

Valued Contributor

I have to add the absolute best green bean dish I've ever tasted 

is my ex- mother in -laws . Fresh green beans cooked with spare ribs on the stove for hours. She is a great cook! The one and only 

perk of that relationship for sure...🤣

Honored Contributor

Right now in southern WV, in my IGA store, you choose between canned or frozen.  By June we might see "fresh" green beans packed in a tray covered in plastic, and it will be July before baskets of fresh picked loose green beans are available to buy by the pound.   

If you want fresh produce here from October thru May, you need to grow it yourself in a greenhouse.  

Honored Contributor

DH grows them in the garden. When those are gone we buy fresh or frozen before we buy can. We don't buy much in a can. 

Most places here sell them in a bag. One grocery store has them loose.

Respected Contributor

I believe I've seen them sold loose and bagged here. I always buy frozen and nuke them.

Honored Contributor

I used green string beans as a substitute for lettuce when it is out of season.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I loathe green beans, but dh likes them, so I do buy them for him often. All the local area stores have beans available loose, as well as in a large bag that you can buy or pick beans to get the amount you want. 

When we had a raised veg garden we had 2 or 3 different kinds of green bean bushes. When the boys moved out, the big garden came out. Last year I didn't have the chance to grow anything. Won't be able to grow anything this year either.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Super Contributor

Today I saw bags of small green beans in the produce section of our local Publix
I did see on the bag They were grown in Fla
I didn’t check the price because I don’t really like green beans and wasn’t buying them
No one in our family will eat green bean casserole
Honored Contributor

schwans home delivery, now yelloh......their green beans are so good.

they can be eaten as is or used in any casserole.

micro steam whole green beans. three microwwaveable bags in a package. it is in my order every two weeks. no trimming needed. 36 ounces total $7.99, buy more save more currently.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@MalibuFox wrote:

I eat green beans daily since they are nice and low in carbs

Since it's only me who eats them, I buy a big 5 pound bag 

frozen from Costco. They are flash frozen,washed ,trimmed

and always look beautiful. I cook mine in chicken broth.

The bag is 6.99$

I'm also a fan of the canned Italian flat style green bean

@MalibuFox Allen's green beans!  Yes!  My dad a long time ago raised spinach that went to a canning plant and Allen was one of the brands they canned for.  

Huge trucks full of spinach would go, but it was a pain and a crop labor intensive and always in danger of getting ruined by bad weather, so he switched to all grain crops.