Honored Contributor

Green Beans in Your Grocery Store

We picked up fresh green beans today.  Usually for holiday meals, the little tray is full plus a wooden box of green beans from the farm.

Now they only offer a 2 lb bag of green beans with ends trimmed.  So much for the southern big pot of green beans!

How are your green beans sold please?

Honored Contributor

Re: Green Beans in Your Grocery Store

Le Sueur in a can.  I don't think grocery store beans have enough flavor difference to use.  And I wouldn't want the ends cut off becuse I'd rather do that myself to keep them cleaner.  

But if you love them, just buy more bags.  

Respected Contributor

I make the traditional green bean casserole every year for Easter.  (We go to my SIL's house.)  I don't remember what I've used in the past, but this year I bought frozen, cut green beans.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

The more expensive markets have them loose.  Most of the supermarkets have them in shrink-wrapped packages or they buy the plastic-bagged ones from their suppliers, like Trader Joe's.  Of course the pre-packaged varieties are never exactly the amount one is looking for.

Honored Contributor

I can get green beans in a small bag (10-12 oz) a family size bag ( 32 oz) all trimmed and washed or loose and not trimmed where I can pick what I want and place in a produce bag.

Also, organic or not.  The trimmed beans often need to be retrimmed.  Some still have the stems on them.

I will buy som green beans after Easter to use with my ham bone. My husband might prefer bean soup instead.  I do have a frozen ham bone in my freezer, so I could do both.

We had some ham, potatoes and green beans last week, from the freezer.  I wanted to use up what I had.

Honored Contributor

Not a fan of green bean casserole,  and we don't need a big pot of green beans since it's just the two of us and my husband rarely eats leftovers.  I get the filet beans in a bag.  I only boil them in salted water until tender, cool them off in ice water, and then store wrapped in a towel in the fridge until right before dinner time.  Then, I saute them in butter a few minutes.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  I buy Birds Eye Whole frozen green beans that can be steamed in the package. I  cook them in water. I add sauted bacon, onion, and mushrooms.

Valued Contributor

I eat green beans daily since they are nice and low in carbs

Since it's only me who eats them, I buy a big 5 pound bag 

frozen from Costco. They are flash frozen,washed ,trimmed

and always look beautiful. I cook mine in chicken broth.

The bag is 6.99$

I'm also a fan of the canned Italian flat style green bean

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

We picked up fresh green beans today.  Usually for holiday meals, the little tray is full plus a wooden box of green beans from the farm.

Now they only offer a 2 lb bag of green beans with ends trimmed.  So much for the southern big pot of green beans!

How are your green beans sold please?

I doubt we'll buy any fresh for Easter this year.  We always grow them and end up canning some and freezing a variety dad likes referred to around here as shucked beans.  I don't care for the shucked kind.  First, they're dried out in the sun and then later cooked with a ham hock.  So, we'll be having the regular ones we canned lol.😃

At the store, Kroger, they're sold loose.🌸

Honored Contributor

The only places locally where I've seen loose green beans was Whole Foods and the once weekly green market.

Most often I buy mine bagged in Publix - they often have bags of whole beans I trim myself; this week I know the trimmed are on BOGO, but I didn't see the others advertised although they might be available but not on any special sale.