Valued Contributor

Does anyone own the Splatter Guards?

Hi Everyone, I'm not one for loads of gadgets in my kitchen, but I'm intrigued by this product. Anyone have a review? TIASmiley Happy
Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone own the Splatter Guards?

Anyone?
Honored Contributor

I have something similar; it was a set from Mark Charles Micilli (I think, or perhaps it was just an earlier form of this set) from a few years ago. I would not recommend them. I have found that too much steam builds up under them when you are frying. The steam does not escape through the holes that well, and when you lift the guard, water ( or oil or a combination of both) drips all over the place.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, faerie moon.Smiley Happy I have one big pan that I do a lot of sauces in and it does not have a lid. I was thinking about the guards for for pet fronting the inevitable burps of sauce that happen when sauce simmers . Um, I just re-read my reply here, and what the heck?Sorry ladies---my iPad sometimes spell corrects to the oddest words!
Regular Contributor

I have used, and I still have one,.....one of those big (probably a good 12" or more) mesh grease splatter lids, or whatever they call it. It is sturdy and has a nice long handle, and I've used it on a smaller stock pot and for some sauces too. I believe it's maybe 2 layers of steel mesh like, and I was using all available pans for a monster batch of spaghetti sauce, and I was short a lid. It worked perfectly. Of course the sauce was on low and barely simmering, and not going wild on the stove top! I know they still sell them. I'd try Wal Mart or BB&B, etc. It's a very handy thing! I think it is referred to as a grease splatter guard or lid.

Trusted Contributor

I don't own these, but I've been interested in them, too. I was watching the presentation last night, and I noticed something. This newest version comes with handles on both sides, and you are supposed to be able to turn the splatter guard slightly upright and attach it to the edge of the pan. Last night I noticed the vendor (darn it....can't think of his name) was having trouble keeping the lid on the edge of the pan. He had just demonstrated how you can put the splatter guard in hot oil, and it doesn't damage it in any way. The handle was obviously covered with grease, and that might have been the problem, but I'm just not so sure these would stay upright on the side of your pans. That's not a big deal, but it's something to be aware of.

Frequent Contributor

I have had the original splatter guards (3 in a set), which I purchased over a year ago, and have used them regularly, either when frying or braising a sauce...The problem with them is that they retain the smell of what you were cooking..even if cleaned in the dishwasher. Also, they stain easily and can get a dark sort of a burnt mark on the edges when used while frying at a high heat....They are functional but I would not purchase again. I also noticed that Mark Charles (when demonstrating the new version) couldn't get the splatter guard to stand up on the edge of the pot and he finally had to give up!! Hmmm. I would like to ask him about the staining problem and what would he recommend to fix that.

Valued Contributor

I have the set of 3 sold by QVC and I use my mesh cheapo ones more. Some of the problems stated by other posters is true about them. And many times I just need a very small one and cannot find one of those in any material.

Honored Contributor

I also prefer the mesh ones.

Honored Contributor

I have been using a set of the red splatter guards for over a year, and absolutely love them. I put them to use several times a week, either as a lid, or as a hot pad. Yes, they do collect steam underneath just as faeriemoon described, but I do not find that to be a negative issue, since that is the same result when using an actual lid. I actually like using the splatter guards when frying chicken, as just enough steam escapes from the skillet to keep the chicken nice and crisp as it's frying, instead of being totally "steamed" and having a soft exterior when done. My splatter guards look exactly as they did when they arrived; they are not stained, or discolored from being used as a hot pad, and they have no smell after a year of steady usage. This simple product is one of my favorite buys from QVC, and I wish I had ordered more of these to give as gifts, since I am getting so much use out of them.