Respected Contributor

Re: Do any of you like side by side refrigerators?

I have two - a side by side AND a bottom freezer- would never want to have only a side by side- best configuration is probably too wide for your space but its the split top (french door) with bottom freezer...IMHO

Contributor

I used to have a bottom freezer that was just one big drawer. Hated that. I was constantly rooting in there looking for things and when I was getting my shopping list together I never knew what I had in there. When I finally got a new fridge I opted for a side by side and I am very happy with it. Those new french door fridges with the freezer on the bottom are very expensive as well.

Valued Contributor

Subzero 33", freezer on bottom
Trusted Contributor

I have a side by side-it came with our house. I like it. We've looked around at replacements but haven't taken the plunge yet and I still gravitate towards the side by side models. One main reason is I use a lot of ice for cold drinks and I like the ice in the door. We also have a freezer chest in the basement so I don't have to worry about fitting big turkeys or what have you in the fridge freezer, but pizza boxes go in okay.

Valued Contributor

For me a side by side fridge was a necessity because I have trouble bending over.

I like having my frozen foods at eye level in the side by side. It holds plenty. I can get to the food easily and I like being able to see what is in there. When I had a bottom freezer things got lost in it. It has water and ice in the door too which I like.

Honored Contributor

I have a side by side (a really large one) and I like it, but don't love it. I like the newer ones with side by side on top and freezer drawers on bottom

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2015 winamac1 said:

I love my side by side! I don't like the other ones.

I can see so much and don't have to bend often!

Honored Contributor

I have a side by side and a 4-door french door frig. They both have their advantages/disadvantages. I'm indifferent as to which one I like better. I like both. I feel they hold the same amount of things.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

On 2/20/2015 morning glory said:

For me a side by side fridge was a necessity because I have trouble bending over.

I like having my frozen foods at eye level in the side by side. It holds plenty. I can get to the food easily and I like being able to see what is in there. When I had a bottom freezer things got lost in it. It has water and ice in the door too which I like.

These are the same reasons I LOVE my side by side!

I have a bad back, and bending over is very difficult. I love being able to open my freezer and see almost everything at eye level.

I used to have a top freezer, and it was fine, but the side by side holds SOOO much more. I don't eat frozen pizza often, so I don't need space for a giant box. I also love having the ice and water in the door. I would never have anything else.

It all comes down to your personal requirements. Decide what features are most important to your needs.

Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

I had a side by side and hated it. Each side was too narrow. I was thrilled when it died. I bought one with french doors on top and the freezer on the bottom and love it!!!