Honored Contributor

I never wanted a Keurig mainly because it holds standing water! Upon investigating The Keurig brand I discovered the mini which is fill as you go. Love it! Never thought I'd be a Keurig lover but I am! I've only had mine about 1 1/2 months and have descaled it twice already. I have well water. Eww how disgusting to NEVER have cleaned a "seasoned" Keurig machine! I can't even imagine drinking the water in that machine. JMO Oh I use whitel vinegar to clean mine.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Shoppinggirl wrote:

I have read that since the machine always holds some water in it, that mold is a big problem with them. I considered buying one until I read that.

That's an old wives' tale.

Honored Contributor

I have an old Keurig without all the bells and whistles of the new ones.  Although is sounds like 747 taking off it still works fine.  Whenever I think about it (that means not very often) I fill the water container with straight white vinegar and run a couple of cups to pull it inside the machine and let it sit for a few hours.  Then I fill the container a couple of times with water run though to get the vinegar taste out.  When if finally dies I think I am going to get a Bunn. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I have an old Keurig without all the bells and whistles of the new ones.  Although is sounds like 747 taking off it still works fine.  Whenever I think about it (that means not very often) I fill the water container with straight white vinegar and run a couple of cups to pull it inside the machine and let it sit for a few hours.  Then I fill the container a couple of times with water run though to get the vinegar taste out.  When if finally dies I think I am going to get a Bunn. 

This made me laugh out loud as that is exactly how I describe my Keurig (I have one of the original ones too).

I do the same thing in terms of descaling and probably the same timeframe as you and it's worked like a charm for years but once it stops working I will not be purchasing another one based on the rather poor reviews of newer models.

Respected Contributor

In addition to descaling my mini, I also drain the machine periodically of any water that might be left after brewing coffee.

With the power OFF,  press the BREW button until all water is drained out.

Occasional Contributor

Equal parts white vinegar and water. Let it sit 4 hours. Rinse 32 ounces. Done

Super Contributor

Yup! That's what I do too, white vinegar, maybe every 2-3 months. It's only myself using it, so oit dpoesn't get heavy usage. I did with my mini Keurig and now with the  K55. I 've seen that Keurig cleaning solution on Amzon, been tempted, but never did. The vinegar is the easiest, cheapest way. 

Super Contributor

Yup! That's what I do too, white vinegar, maybe every 2-3 months. It's only myself using it, so oit dpoesn't get heavy usage. I did with my mini Keurig and now with the  K55. I 've seen that Keurig cleaning solution on Amzon, been tempted, but never did. The vinegar is the easiest, cheapest way.

@spix wrote:

I use a few cups of white vinegar with the water, then run thru quite a few cycles (water fill ups) till I'm not getting any vinegar odor.

Mine is many years old, have lost track, I do this every few months.

Super Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@fashion queen wrote:

I also did some reading up on the cleaning/upkeep of the Keurig (since I'm on my 3rd one).  It says to always use filtered water in addition to the stand filter in the water receptacle and room temp water.

So does this mean to use filtered water for coffee and anything else made in the Keurig?  That could be expensive.

I spoke to a customer service rep one day, I told I use an on tap filter, she said that was all I needed, didn't need the filter kist. I have the larger K 55 b rewer, I have the mini also, but my neighbor uses it now.  I bought mine at Kohl's, it didn't come with a filtration kit. I've had no problems with it. I was at my isters last week, one of her kids got her the 2.0 brewer. Mow I want one