Esteemed Contributor

My Keurig needs descaling....I went to their.com to purchase the product...and most of the reviews are bad...could someone tell me how to descale the machine and what product did you use...isn't there one that uses vinegar...white ??? Thanks for any help you can give...

Honored Contributor

The only thing I've ever done to my minis has been to run a half and half mixture of white vinegar and water through.  I end up with a cup of water and tiny flakes, so I just assume that works --and I follow that with a few cups of just hot water to rid the machine of the vinegar.  Not sure how the process works for the larger machines.

Respected Contributor

I use a few cups of white vinegar with the water, then run thru quite a few cycles (water fill ups) till I'm not getting any vinegar odor.

Mine is many years old, have lost track, I do this every few months.

Frequent Contributor

I got instructions on You Tube.  They are pretty simply and straightforward.  It's basically white vinegar and water.  Wait some time (hours) and run water through several times.

Also of note: I also did some reading up on the cleaning/upkeep of the Keurig (since I'm on my 3rd one).  It says to always use filtered water in addition to the stand filter in the water receptacle and room temp water.  Have no idea how the temp of the water makes any difference, but it has worked well for us.  Give this a try.  Anytime I've descaled my machine, it's always gone south from there.  Hope you meet with better luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all very much....off to get some white distilled vinegar...

Honored Contributor

@fashion queen wrote:

I also did some reading up on the cleaning/upkeep of the Keurig (since I'm on my 3rd one).  It says to always use filtered water in addition to the stand filter in the water receptacle and room temp water.

So does this mean to use filtered water for coffee and anything else made in the Keurig?  That could be expensive.

Frequent Contributor

@ValuSkr ... yes.  I have one of those Brita pitchers with the filter.  I just refill the pitcher, let the water filter, and then refill the Keurig.  The filters last a while, so it's not costly.  We used to use the water from our refrigerator (it has an ice/water feature), but that's "cold" water which somehow the Keurig is fussy about.

Honored Contributor

I see, thank you @fashionqueen.  I have a Brita pitcher too.  I was thinking you had to buy filtered water.  Didn't even occur to me that Brita water would work!  I don't change the filter nearly as often as they recommend.

Esteemed Contributor

@fashion queen wrote:

I got instructions on You Tube.  They are pretty simply and straightforward.  It's basically white vinegar and water.  Wait some time (hours) and run water through several times.

Also of note: I also did some reading up on the cleaning/upkeep of the Keurig (since I'm on my 3rd one).  It says to always use filtered water in addition to the stand filter in the water receptacle and room temp water.  Have no idea how the temp of the water makes any difference, but it has worked well for us.  Give this a try.  Anytime I've descaled my machine, it's always gone south from there.  Hope you meet with better luck. 

My Keurig mini is a few years old, still running fine, and I've never descaled it.  At this point, I'm actually afraid to do it - kinda like "if it ain't broke,don't fix it." I'm afraid that descaling might dislodge some pieces that would clog the machine.  Your post has just confirmed my fears.  I'm letting well enough alone.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
New Contributor

I have read that since the machine always holds some water in it, that mold is a big problem with them. I considered buying one until I read that.