Valued Contributor

I never watch HSN, but the other night they were selling a smoothie drink maker (cannot even remember the brand) and I got engrossed in all that the vendor was putting in the blender to make the smoothies. He used coconut water a lot. Can you buy that and in what department? I thought about making my own with water and coconut extract. Does anyone have experience with it. Guess I will watch ITKWD tonight to get drink ideas.

Respected Contributor
Coconut water is very popular. You can buy it anywhere. I tried it but didn't like it. It tasted to me like I imagine dirty dishwater would taste. No detectible coconut flavor.
Honored Contributor
Coconut water is such a "superfood"! It is sold in supermarkets, including Trader Joes. We buy at Costco, and they occasionally offer it on sale. It's an excellent addition to smoothies or just straight up-but make sure it is chilled for better flavor.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Regular Contributor

I think it's delicious when it comes from Trader Joe's!

Honored Contributor

They are also using coconut water today when selling the Ninja that is the TSV.

Respected Contributor

You can get it in the grocery store. Goya sells it, or the Spanish aisle has several kinds. It's tasty.

Trusted Contributor

I think it's nasty, but a lot of people like it.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info on finding it. Seems one either loves it or hates it. I guess I will give it a try one time. But, I still am thinking I might get a good coconut flavor with the extract and water.

Trusted Contributor
On 12/3/2014 nomasaid:

Thanks for the info on finding it. Seems one either loves it or hates it. I guess I will give it a try one time. But, I still am thinking I might get a good coconut flavor with the extract and water.

People do not buy or drink coconut water for coconut flavor. Coconut water contains electrolytes which, supposedly, make it a good choice for rehydrating (particularly after exercise). It has recently made it on the "superfood" bandwagon (despite the fact that there are no such things as "superfoods" -- a term which is nothing more than a marketing gimmick designed to separate those with little-t-no scientific knowledge from their money).

Water and coconut extract will not give you the same results. Just use another liquid such as juice, milk, or a dairy substitute.

Honored Contributor

Sounds nasty to me. Why ruin perfectly good water with coconut.