Honored Contributor

Re: Cast Iron Cookware Lovers

Oh, I forgot to mention that I wrap several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil around the handles of cast iron pans. They are still HOT, but not as hot. So be careful and also use a pot holder.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

Lodge pre-seasoned is the best!

Super Contributor

On 2/19/2014 lacey1 said:

From the reviews that I've read on other websites. You CAN use cast iron on glass top stoves but you have to be careful. If you slide them or put them down hard, they can damage the cooktop.

This is true, but so will any other pan as I can attest to when my husband cooks. Apparently the pans are just to heavy for him to life up and put back down. : /
Honored Contributor

On 2/21/2014 rudy said:

Just wondering if they are 'ready to use'. No need to 'season' in oven, etc.? I would love to buy new pre-seasoned cast iron. Wash, dry completely, and then use. coating with oil first. No need to remove any type of manufacturer's 'coating', etc. ????

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

On 2/21/2014 ROMARY said:
On 2/21/2014 rudy said:

Just wondering if they are 'ready to use'. No need to 'season' in oven, etc.? I would love to buy new pre-seasoned cast iron. Wash, dry completely, and then use. coating with oil first. No need to remove any type of manufacturer's 'coating', etc. ????

Go to lodgemfg dot com and click on Use&Care. There is a detailed explanation about seasoning for the Seasoned Cast Iron.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Rudy! I'll check it out.

Valued Contributor

On 2/19/2014 Topaz Gem said:

I'm in the market for a 10" cast iron skillet and I've decided on Lodge. It's made in the USA and it's excellent cookware. I have a Lodge skillet in a smaller size and love it, but now I need the larger 10" size for other recipes.

I had the opposite situation. I had to buy a 12" iron skillet since the 10" was sold out! It was okay but decided I really wanted the 10" size. Found it at Wal-marts, 10" in the Lodge.

Honored Contributor

I ran across Lodge cast iron pans at Cost Plus World Market a few months ago. You might want to call your nearby store and ask if they have them in stock.