Respected Contributor

Check out Amazon dot com for some pretty good deals on Lava brand cast iron cookware. Prices seem very reasonable and I believe it's made in Turkey.

ETA -- also check out Lodge cast iron cookware. Very reasonable prices and some have over 1,000 reviews, some 4+ stars.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cast Iron Cookware Lovers

I'm in the market for a 10" cast iron skillet and I've decided on Lodge. It's made in the USA and it's excellent cookware. I have a Lodge skillet in a smaller size and love it, but now I need the larger 10" size for other recipes.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

enamel coated are the best won't rust. HSN used to carry Tim Love brand really good !

Respected Contributor

On 2/19/2014 Sharke said:

enamel coated are the best won't rust. HSN used to carry Tim Love brand really good !

ShopHQ (formerly ShopNBC) has a line of enameled cast iron cookware. They had a set of frying pans as the Today's Top Value a few weeks ago and I bought them. I've only used them once, but so far I'm impressed.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

On 2/19/2014 Sharke said:

enamel coated are the best won't rust.

But do you get the same flavor?

I remember using my cast iron pan all the time -- until the doctor told me my iron levels were too high and to stop.

Trusted Contributor

Coffee Drinker-Thanks for the post about Lava cast iron. I use cast iron daily. A lot of people are a little snobbish about imported pieces. I am not. I love cast iron but there is definitely a learning curve. Many pieces are sold as 'pre-seasoned', some people might think that means, 'non-stick'. It is NOT the same thing. Seasoning is the process of building a coating on the cookware, this will become non-stick over time. Cast iron can not be put in the dishwasher or kept in a humid environment. It will rust. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube on cast iron care. Once you get used to it, it's great. It makes a great crust to baked goods. A covered Dutch oven makes great Artisan style bread. The best fried chicken, etc. It is heavier than other cookware, but will take high heat and is induction compatible.

Now, excuse me, every time I see a post by Coffee Drinker-I want some!

Contributor

Does anyone know if you can use cast iron or the enamel cast iron on a smooth top stove?

Trusted Contributor

From the reviews that I've read on other websites. You CAN use cast iron on glass top stoves but you have to be careful. If you slide them or put them down hard, they can damage the cooktop.

Honored Contributor

On 2/19/2014 lacey1 said:

From the reviews that I've read on other websites. You CAN use cast iron on glass top stoves but you have to be careful. If you slide them or put them down hard, they can damage the cooktop.

I don't have one (I have the old coil-burner electric stove), but this is exactly what I've heard too.

Super Contributor

Im an ole woman from the mountains of NC,I have my grandmothers and my mothers collection of the old cast iron,Just a little tip if you find any of the old cast iron no matter how bad it looks,all you have to do is put it in a bucket ir tub fill it with any cheap cooking oil until the pot or pan is coverd leave it for week or two.Looks like brand new especially if you find them at yard sales or flea markets. if its really really bad you may have to soak it in the oil a little longer.