Super Contributor

Business Channel says prices

of COFFEE and FRUITS/VEGS. will probably be "spiking" due to weather conditions.I am going to stock-up on my fav. coffee brand and also bagged frozen fruits/vegs.

Can't buy too many frozen products due to size of refrigerator freezer, but will buy a bunch of coffee!

Of course other food will go up as feeding livestock now is so expensive (due to drought) but

I can only stock up just so much!

Respected Contributor

Re: Business Channel says prices

I heard that also and they said the price of milk could go up 60 cents a gallon and that's not something you can stock pile. What can we do except watch for sales.

Respected Contributor

Luvpoos I heard that about milk too-up to six bucks a gallon! There is a form of milk you can stock up on and I intend on doing just that. It's called "Nido" and is made by Nestle. It's freeze dried whole milk, and when it comes to beverages and baking it works beautifully. Our grocery has it in the Hispanic isle, but Walmart keeps it with the chocolate milk powders.

Poodlepet

Respected Contributor

Inflation seems to be increasing more than hourly wages. Many people are struggling to make ends meet and it's getting worse.
Honored Contributor

There is also a shelf stable milk called Parmalaat. sp?

Honored Contributor

Well I don't drink coffee or milk so I'm safe on that front. However the fruits and veggies worry me a little--will have to grow more on my own I guess. And a good idea about buying frozen. I've cut way back on meat too, and you know the prices on that will sky rocket too. Our poor farmers!! It's always something isn't!!!!

Respected Contributor

On 2/20/2014 Poodlepet said:

Luvpoos I heard that about milk too-up to six bucks a gallon! There is a form of milk you can stock up on and I intend on doing just that. It's called "Nido" and is made by Nestle. It's freeze dried whole milk, and when it comes to beverages and baking it works beautifully. Our grocery has it in the Hispanic isle, but Walmart keeps it with the chocolate milk powders.

Poodlepet

hmm, never heard of that, I will have to look for it next time I am in the grocery store. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Shop the farmer's markets when you can and freeze your own.

Produce grown locally doesn't have to be shipped. If you find one in your area they are usually family farms and the people who wait on your actually grow what you're buying. You can talk to them about how they grow their produce and tips on preparing.

Same with a butcher. Find a local butcher. I have to travel but he sources his beef and poultry locally. He can tell me who he buys it from and he'll cut it to order. I find he's got much better prices than the chain stores. He doesn't have a pharmacy/flower shop and a bank inside the store to support. He pays a decent wage and many of his employees have been there for years.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/20/2014 Poodlepet said:

Poodlepet

Poodle, thanks for this tip! I've seen it in the grocery but never knew it was whole milk!

I'll have to check it out for baking, etc.

Respected Contributor

Snowpuppy, I live in Florida and I can't drive for medical reasons, but the Nido is a life-saver! I'm sure it's at it's best refrigerated, but my "gallon can" has been sitting on my counter for about 3 months, and it tastes just as good now as it did from the date of purchase.

Parmalat is not bad-but it has a "ok, not fresh, but ok" taste. My daughter-an extremely picky eater-finds Nido is "more fresher" and I would agree. Now then, there is a difference when it comes to baking. Many bread recipes call for skim milk powder: that will give you a light airy bread with "holes" and creates a crispy loaf. If you use Nido for baking bread-and I have done that-it gives a "sandwich" type bread-a soft crumb, and a soft crust-it delivers the classic "pan de mie"....but you can use Nido for everything else-pudding, mix it up and pour it on cold cereal.....cook with it....I just find it a great pantry item to have on hand if you can't go out to get fresh milk. Also, I usually use Greek Yogurt for a lot of things-let's say, in place of buttermilk....But if I don't have it, Nido made as instructed-with a tablespoon of white vinegar, works well too....

Poodlepet