Occasional Contributor

Very frustrating -- how to handle??

Reposting this from "Among Friends," because I don't think that shows up on the main Community board. And since I buy a lot of jewelry from ShopNBC, it may be appropriate on this board - and I'd like ideas and thoughts:

I have never heard anything like this, and it's very frustrating! I shop on all three major shopping networks. Never had a delivery problem with either QVC or the H. Never had a ShopNBC problem either, until recently! Apparently they have changed something in their delivery system with UPS, and they now REQUIRE an "adult signature" at the residence or they will not leave the package! Since both of us work all day, there is no one home in the daytime to receive the packages. So -- notices get left on the door, and then I have to go online and tell UPS I will drive to their distribution station (7 miles away) and pick up my package. I tried to get UPS to switch, telling them really, it's OK if you leave the package in the wooden box on my porch (like they HAD been doing for ShopNBC packages up till just recently). I live in one of the safest cities in America and there has never been a package stolen off my porch. Even the jewelry has been entirely safe -- AND I have a wooden box on my porch that most packages can go into. Or they could leave it around the side, or in the bushes, or even with a neighbor. But UPS said no, they can't change it -- it's the sender who is requiring an adult signature.

So - I figured that would be an easy fix - just call ShopNBC, explain the problem, tell them I can't drive a 14-mile round trip every time I order something from them, and of course they will change it. The customer is always right....right? And a company would not want its loyal customer inconvenienced so much, especially in this day and age of economic hardship and your customers wanting to save on gas and time...RIGHT? After all, we like home shopping BECAUSE of the "convenience," right??

Well, ha ha. As it turns out, ShopNBC doesn't much care. In fact, although I was pleasant, the customer service rep I first called was snippy and extremely unhelpful. "Well, we CAN'T change it! It's embedded into our new system! No, we can't help it - it's the new system that requires a signature at the house!" Er, I pointed out, I can't be the only household where both adults work and are not home during the day. "Well, you can have UPS deliver it to your work address." Er, well, if I ask them to deliver to another address then *I* pay UPS an extra fee, and I can't switch to deliveries at my work address anyway because my bosses would frown on personal items being delivered at work. So, ShopNBC, I don't think that will work -- so please, can't you just change it on your end? I can't believe it's "embedded in the system" so much that no one can change it - it seems like it would be an easy change! "No, m'am, as I explained to you before, it's not something we can change. It is what it is." (She actually said that to me!) SERIOUSLY??! You can't flip one little switch in your "delivery system" and UNrequire an "adult signature at the residence"??

The last straw was last week - I had ordered a culinary item from ShopNBC and then unexpectedly had to go out of town, so the item arrived, went back to the local UPS delivery center and after several attempts at redelivery, was returned to ShopNBC. Of course with me paying the delivery both ways. In the meantime I received two packages from QVC that were nicely left with my neighbor. I called and emailed ShopNBC, who finally reluctantly issued me a $10 credit and told me if I wanted the item I would need to reorder it. "And - can't you change your no-delivery-without-a-signature rule?" I tried, one more time. "No, m'am, we can't -- it's embedded in our new system..."

Aieeeee! How can I get them to re-think this? Customers have moved Netflix and Bank of America to re-think stupid decisions -- we blog, we tweet, we post on message boards, we interact. It would seem to me they should listen and react to such a simple request. How could a company be so recalcitrant in this era of consumer unrest?