Honored Contributor

Re: Rhodium plated sterling silver

Most of my artisan-crafted silver pieces are not rhodium plated. I like it this way because when those pieces get a little tarnished then I take my silver polishing cloth and polish away the raised parts, leaving behind a beautiful contrast of silver and dark oxidized areas. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen @Shanus today. She usually posts something on this jewelry forum. Hope she's okay.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Hi Ladies. Painting part of today. Questions or just greetings? So sweet you were concerned.

Honored Contributor

@depglass. Not 90% but a lot of designer silver & white gold is plated (not as much white gold...not as much tarnishing). RIPKA' pieces, Tiffany's silver jewelry, etc. are plated & don't need polishing. John Hardy & Yurman are not plated. Their designs are supposed to have the oxidation in areas.

Artisan crafted pieces, silver pieces I've purchased in Sante Fe and Mexico...not plated, which is my preference. The very characteristics of the natural metal is "bastardized" by plating. No big deal to use a polishing cloth.

BTW, my silver cuffs & bangles that I wear almost daily never need polishing. The tarnish naturally comes off unnoticed on clothes, skin, dogs when I pet them, etc. Like pearls, silver gets better the more the more you wear it....on silver it's called a patina.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee  Hi Ladies. Painting part of today. Questions or just greetings? So sweet you were concerned.

@Shanus@  @SilleeMee and I have been waiting for you to weigh in on this thread.  Glad you finally made it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny. IMO, plated pieces don't wear as well. If they scratch or get "pits", those areas will tarnish and have to be cleaned & plated again. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@PurpleBunny. IMO, plated pieces don't wear as well. If they scratch or get "pits", those areas will tarnish and have to be cleaned & plated again. 

Aww crud. I guess I shouldn't listen to the hosts. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624. Better late than never. Over on Community Chat, too, trying to get some perspective on troubles of @DowntonAbbey. Wow!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer normal silver with some  oxidation, (most of high end designers do not plate their silver).. If I want bright white metal  - I buy white gold or platinum , period!

Contributor

Rhodium plated silver is great! Some of us are allergic to silver and can't wear plain silver. With the Rhodium plated i can choose some pieces and enjoy them like the rest of you  do.