Trusted Contributor

My first impression when I opened the box was just...thoughtful. I was hoping my impression of the ring in person would be heavy one way or the other. It was not. My opinion was the same as I had when I ordered it. That is not a bad thing. I ordered it because I liked it, but the hesitancy comes in the...it's a big grasshopper that would be on my finger. I am not a bug jewelry person, but I liked the grasshopper pendant when I saw it the first time (though I do not own it) and when I saw there was a matching ring to go along with it I just could not stop thinking about it.

The workmanship is as you would expect with a Bixby piece. Despite it having so much work on the shank, etc., it fits true to size for the most part. The doublet of the body does glow. That is what drew me to the original pendant. The amethyst head of the hopper is not really noticeable as purple unless you are in sunlight. That is fine. The legs on the side are not delicate. It is a very sturdy ring. Even if I accidentally knocked it, I would not be worried I might loosen a leg or bend it. The enamel on the butterflies is nice but honestly, I don't even notice the butterflies on either side of the shank.

The one thing I wish were different is that the silver would be a little brighter. It is a grey silver. I watched part of the video again before I wrote the review and it seems the one on the finger is like mine, but the one in the ring rest they are using to show it is a little brighter silver. Oxidation I am sure and I probably can brighten it up myself, but what if I put it in the mix that polishes silver and then all the oxidation is gone? It could look silly then. So I am debating.

I definitely would like to get the pendant. I would wear the pendant more than I would the ring, but would not wear them together. Too much. But I really liked the hopper pendant on the 25" European chain which I also do not own.

All in all I have not definitely decided whether I will keep it or not. I do like it, but do I like it enough? Not sure yet. Would I miss it if I returned it? It's very possible. So I have to think on it a bit. It is definitely unusual and the body stone glows and despite it looking delicate, it is not. If the silver were a little brighter my mind would be made up and that should be something I can achieve myself with a little work. I must say I am a definite Barbara Bixby fan and look forward to the next time she is on.