Respected Contributor

Question about selling Gold & Silver jewelry

I've been weeding out lots of old jewelry that I haven't worn in years. I'm thinking of selling it but alot of the jewelry has gemstones in it. Will they buy jewelry with gemstones, or will they only buy plain gold jewelry?

Also I have some silver jewelry that I would like to sell. I know I won't get as much as the gold, but will I get a semi-decent amount?

TIA!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about selling Gold & Silver jewelry

Follow the price of gold and silver. Sell when it's up. Go to a few places to get your best price. To get a fair price for the gold they will take the stones out and give them to you.

Valued Contributor

You will likely be shocked at how little you will get for any of it, especially the gemstones.
If you take it to a place (jeweler, pawn shop) just keep in mind that they are looking to a pay a price so that THEY can resell it or melt it down.

If you want to go through the hassle of selling it on Ebay, etc..you might get more $$, but it will be more work.

Honored Contributor

When the price of gold skyrocketed, I did the same thing with a lot of my jewelry and the local jeweler I sold mine to gave me the value of the gemstones in some of them as well.

All of mine was gold, I can't wear silver jewelry.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I was just shown there is a place on Facebook that sells only items from QVC.  I have been looking at the jewlery pieces and just two days ago bought my first item, a dooney bag.   You list on the site and pay using paypal.  Seems easy and no fees.

Valued Contributor

I use a local jeweler  who will quote two prices, one a cash price another if you purchase an item.. When I first had him quote an item I used a piece that I knew the original price a few years ago to see how he was pricing.  I was surprised at how much i got when I brought in items I had considered tossing as it was a "single" earring and a broken chain.  I walked out with a necklace I had been eyeing for -0-.  The couple of other items I sold for cash and was quite pleased.  It's a shame when you accumulate things you don't wear or don't like and knowing no one else would want them makes sense to turn into cash.

Respected Contributor

Many of us used USgold buyers in NYC.  You have to remove the gems and send it in using their prepaid fedex boxes.  They actually list each day the payout for each karat of gold they are buying.  Safe and they pay more than your local jeweler or cash for gold place.   If you only have a few items your jeweler may be able to help with a consignment section of his store.   Word of caution, don't use Craigs list.

Respected Contributor

I too was surprised at cash amount for gold. I went when 

gold was high and comparison shopped for best price.

I had the write their price down and agree to hold it open

for 24 hours. 18 k really pays.

For gemstones I got nothing. 

Good luck.

Super Contributor

Have you thought about taking the gold and gemstones to a goldsmith and having a piece of jewelry made?  It is great fun designing your dream pendant or ring.  Just a consideration.

Respected Contributor

I sold several weighty 14K pieces when gold was high several years ago.  Got the best price from the local goldsmith because he wasn't looking to resell the piece or send it away, he actually melted the gold himself to use in his new creations.

I love the idea of having a goldsmith design a piece just for you.  I've had this done several times and I love having a one-of-a-kind piece that speaks of my own style.  Smiley Happy